Uniform Distribution Transformation

In summary, a random variable X distributed uniformly on [-1,1] can be transformed into a new random variable Y=X^2. However, since the transformation function is not monotonic on the range, the theorem cannot be applied directly. Instead, a generalization of the theorem can be used or a direct computation of the distribution is also possible. The expected value and variance can be calculated without knowing the pdf using the law of the lazy statistician.
Oxymoron

Homework Statement

A random variable [tex]X[/tex] is distributed uniformly on [tex][-1,1][/tex]. Find the distribution of [tex]X^2[/tex], its mean and variance.

The Attempt at a Solution

Define a transformation of random variable as [tex]Y=X^2[/tex]. Problem is that the transformation function is not monotonic on the range. If it was just on [0,1] or [-1,0] then it would be monotonic and I could find inverses and hence define the cumulative distribution function, then differentiate to find the distribution.

Is this a correct deduction? Or is there more to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is correct. So you can not apply the theorem directly because the square function is not increasing or decreasing on [-1,1].

There are two ways around this:
- Using a generalization of the theorem. Maybe you seen this:

Let X have pdf fX, let Y=g(X). Let S be the sample space. Suppose there is a partition of A0,...,Ak of S such that [tex]P(X\in A_0)=0[/tex] and that fX is continuous on each Ai. Further, suppose that there exists functions g1,...,gk on A1,..., Ak such that
  • g(x)=gi(x) for x in Ai.
  • gi(x) is monotone on Ai.
  • The range Y=gi(Ai) is the same for each i
  • gi-1 has a continuous derivative on Y

Then [tex]f_Y(y)=\sum_{i=1}^k{f_X(g_i^{-1}(y))\left|\frac{d}{dy}g_i^{-1}(y)\right|}[/tex] for y in Y and 0 otherwise.

Apply this theorem with [tex]A_0=\emptyset,~A_1=[-1,0],~A_2=[0,1][/tex] and g(x)=x2.

- If you haven't seen this theorem, then a direct computation of the distribution of [tex]Y=X^2[/tex] is also possible:

[tex]F_Y(y)=P(Y\leq y)=P(X^2\leq y)=P(-\sqrt{y}<X\leq \sqrt{y})=F_X(\sqrt{y})-F_X(-\sqrt{y})[/tex]

Now differentiate it to get the pdf.

Okay, so when I differentiate I get
[tex]f_Y(y) = \frac{\mbox{d}}{\mbox{d}y}F_Y(y) = \frac{\mbox{d}}{\mbox{d}y}F_X(\sqrt{y})\cdot\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}-\frac{\mbox{d}}{\mbox{d}y}F_X(-\sqrt{y})\cdot\frac{1}{-2\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
[tex]=f_X(\sqrt{y})\cdot\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}-f_X(-\sqrt{y})\cdot\frac{1}{-2\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1/2}{2\sqrt{y}}-\frac{1/2}{-2\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}[/tex]

and this is a PDF since

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}\mbox{d}y = 1[/tex]

I can change the limits of the integral because I have already imposed that this integral exists on the partition [tex]0\leq y < 1[/tex].

Last edited:
I also tried using the theorem and got the same answer.

What about the expected value?

By definition:

[tex]E[Y] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}y\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}\mbox{d}y = \infty[/tex]

But can I change the limits to 0 and 1 so that

[tex]E[Y] = \int_0^1y\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}\mbox{d}y = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

is this something I can do? Or is the mean (and hence the variance) actually infinity for [tex]Y[/tex]?

Oxymoron said:
Okay, so when I differentiate I get
[tex]f_Y(y) = \frac{\mbox{d}}{\mbox{d}y}F_Y(y) = \frac{\mbox{d}}{\mbox{d}y}F_X(\sqrt{y})\cdot\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}-\frac{\mbox{d}}{\mbox{d}y}F_X(-\sqrt{y})\cdot\frac{1}{-2\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
[tex]=f_X(\sqrt{y})\cdot\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}-f_X(-\sqrt{y})\cdot\frac{1}{-2\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1/2}{2\sqrt{y}}-\frac{1/2}{-2\sqrt{y}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}[/tex]

This is not entirely correct, you have said [tex]f_X(\sqrt{y})=1/2[/tex], but this is only true if [tex]y\leq 1[/tex]. So for y>1, you would have [tex]f_Y(y)=0[/tex]. So your density would actually be [tex]f_Y(y)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{y}}[/tex] if [tex]y\in [0,1] and 0 otherwise.

This fixes your paradox with the calculation of the mean.

Yes it does. Thank you micromass, I should be able to go on and calculate the expected value and variance of this pdf.

Also note that you don't necessairily need to know the pdf to calculate the variance and the mean, since you have

[tex]E[X^2]=\int{x^2f_X(x)dx},~Var(X^2)=E[X^4]-E[X^2]^2=\int{x^4f_X(x)dx}-\left(\int{x^2f_X(x)}\right)^2[/tex]

Here we have essentially used the more general formula

[tex]E[g(X)]=\int{g(x)f_X(x)dx}[/tex]

which is often called "the law of the lazy statistician" :smile:

Related to Uniform Distribution Transformation

What is a Uniform Distribution Transformation?

A Uniform Distribution Transformation is a type of statistical transformation that is used to convert a normally distributed data set into a uniform distribution. This transformation is often used to make data more evenly distributed and to reduce the impact of extreme values in a data set.

Why is Uniform Distribution Transformation important in statistics?

Uniform Distribution Transformation is important in statistics because it helps to make data more amenable to statistical analysis. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships in data that may not have been apparent in the original distribution. Additionally, it can help to reduce the influence of outliers in a data set.

How is Uniform Distribution Transformation performed?

Uniform Distribution Transformation is performed by applying a mathematical function to the data set. This function maps the original data onto a uniform distribution, which results in a new set of values that are more evenly spread out. This can be done using various statistical software programs or by hand using a formula.

What are the benefits of using Uniform Distribution Transformation?

The benefits of using Uniform Distribution Transformation include making data more normally distributed, reducing the impact of outliers, and making data more amenable to statistical analysis. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships in data that may not have been apparent in the original distribution.

Are there any drawbacks to using Uniform Distribution Transformation?

While Uniform Distribution Transformation can be useful in many cases, it is not always appropriate for all data sets. It may not be effective in cases where the data set is highly skewed or contains extreme outliers. Additionally, the transformation can alter the original data and may not accurately reflect the true characteristics of the data. Careful consideration should be taken before applying this transformation to a data set.