Uniform convergence for heat kernel on unit circle

In summary, the conversation revolves around using the Weierstrass M-test to show that a family of functions/kernels, represented by Ht(x), is uniformly convergent for a seminar. The solution involves finding a sequence of positive numbers that will always be greater than or equal to Ht(x), with the use of the M-test. The question asks if the sequence can include the variable t, and if this would allow for the use of the M-test to show uniform convergence. The argument presented in the conversation points towards the possibility of using the M-test, but the correctness of the argument is unsure.
stripes

Homework Statement

I would like to use the Weierstrass M-test to show that this family of functions/kernels is uniformly convergent for a seminar I must give tomorrow.

[itex]

H_{t} (x) = \sum ^{-\infty}_{\infty} e^{-4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t} e^{2 \pi i n x} .

[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to find a sequence of positive numbers that will always be greater than the heat kernel Ht(x) for all x of course. But must it be greater than or equal to Ht(x) for all t as well? That being said, it might prove difficult to find an appropriate sequence...

Can I include t in my sequence of positive numbers? It might make it easier. At first I was just thinking of something as simple as (15/16)^n...if someone could guide me in the right direction, I would appreciate it, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this work:

Using the Weierstrass M-Test, we'll consider the sequence of terms

[itex]| e^{-4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t} e^{2 \pi i n x} | = \frac{| e^{2 pi i n x} |}{e^{-4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t}}[/itex]

Notice that on a ring of radius 1, for all time greater than or equal to zero, this sequence will be largest when x = 1 and t = 0. Obviously when t = 0, the sequence does not converge. But we are not concerned at time t=0 since we are given initial condition u(x, 0) = f(x).

We wish to find a sequence of terms, [itex]M_{n}[/itex], so that [itex]| e^{-4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t} e^{2 \pi i n x} | \leq M_{n}[/itex] for all n.

So we have

[itex]| e^{-4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t} e^{2 \pi i n x} | = | \frac{ e^{2 \pi i n x} }{e^{4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t}} | = \frac{| e^{2 \pi i n x} |}{e^{4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t}} \leq \frac{| e^{2 \pi i n} |}{e^{4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t}} = \frac{1}{e^{4 \pi ^{2} n^{2} t}} = M_{n}.[/itex]

My question is, since the heat kernel on the circle is defined as a variable of x, [itex]H_{t}(x),[/itex], can my [itex]M_{n}[/itex] include the "variable" t? Will this allow me to use the M-test to show uniform convergence? I ask because uniform convergence cannot depend on the variable x. But can it depend on t?

Is my argument above correct? If someone could just have a quick read over what I wrote and tell me where I have gone wrong, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Related to Uniform convergence for heat kernel on unit circle

1. What is the heat kernel on a unit circle?

The heat kernel on a unit circle is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of heat over time on a circle with a radius of 1 unit. It is often used in physics and mathematics to model heat diffusion in circular systems.

2. What is the importance of studying uniform convergence for heat kernel on a unit circle?

Uniform convergence for heat kernel on a unit circle is important because it allows us to determine the rate at which the heat spreads over the circle. This information is crucial in various fields, including thermodynamics, engineering, and climate modeling.

3. How is uniform convergence defined for the heat kernel on a unit circle?

Uniform convergence for the heat kernel on a unit circle means that the heat distribution on the circle approaches a steady state as time goes to infinity. In other words, the heat spreads evenly over the circle, with no areas being significantly hotter or colder than others.

4. What are some applications of uniform convergence for heat kernel on a unit circle?

Some applications of uniform convergence for heat kernel on a unit circle include predicting the temperature distribution in circular systems such as pipes and cylinders, modeling heat flow in electronic devices, and studying the effects of climate change on circular regions.

5. How is uniform convergence for heat kernel on a unit circle related to other mathematical concepts?

Uniform convergence for heat kernel on a unit circle is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as Fourier series, Laplace transform, and Cauchy's integral theorem. These concepts are used to analyze and solve problems related to heat diffusion on circular systems.