Uniform Continuity of Integral Functions in (0,1)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the function \int^{1}_{x}\frac{sin t}{t}dt is uniformly continuous in (0,1). The method involves defining f(x) as sin(x)/x and G(x) as \int^{x}_{1}f(t) dt, which is continuous on [0,1] and therefore uniformly continuous on (0,1). The conversation also mentions using the fact that G has a derivative in [0,1] and that |f(x)|<=1 to prove that G(x) is uniformly continuous.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that the function [tex]\int^{1}_{x}\frac{sin t}{t}dt[/tex] is uniformly continues in (0,1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First if all, I defined f(x) as sin(x)/x for x=/=0 and 0 for x=0. So f is continues in [0,1]. Now [tex]G(x) = \int^{x}_{1}f(t) dt[/tex] Is defined and continues in [0,1] so it's uniformly continues in (0,1). But in (0,1)
[tex]G(x) = \int^{x}_{1}\frac{sin t}{t}dt[/tex] And since that's UC in (0,1), then also [tex]-\int^{x}_{1}\frac{sin t}{t}dt = \int^{1}_{x}\frac{sin t}{t}dt[/tex] is UC in (0,1). Is that enough?
Because in the book they used the fact that G(x) has a derivative in [0,1] and that G'(x) = f(x). Then they used the fact that |f(x)|<=1 (meaning that the derivative of G is bounded) to prove that G(x) is UC.
What's wrong with my way?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you want f(x)=sin(x)/x to be continuous, you'll want to define f(0)=1. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with proving it that way. If the integral is continuous on [0,1], then it is uniformly continuous on (0,1). I don't know why you are messing around with changing the limits of integration though.

Yeah, it's supposed to be f(0)=1. Thanks for your confirmation.

Related to Uniform Continuity of Integral Functions in (0,1)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and can be thought of as the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it calculates the area under a curve between two given points. An indefinite integral does not have limits and represents a general antiderivative of a function.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. This means that if we take the derivative of an integral, we will get the original function back.

4. What is the relationship between integrals and continuity?

A function is continuous if it has no breaks or gaps in its graph. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that a function is continuous if and only if it is integrable, meaning its integral exists.

5. How do we solve integrals?

Integrals can be solved using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The method used depends on the type of function and the limits of integration.