Uniform continuity of composite function

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the uniform continuity of the product of two functions, f and g, given that f and g are both uniformly continuous. The proof involves using the definitions of uniform continuity and substituting variables to show that the product, fg(x), is also uniformly continuous. The speaker also mentions that their formulation may be incorrect due to English not being their first language and asks for clarification. Another person points out the need to specify the domains of f and g for the statement to be true.
estro
I'll be very thankful is someone will tell me where I'm wrong.

We know:
1) f is uniform continuous.
2) g is uniform continuous.

We want to prove:
fg(x) is uniform continuous.

proof:
from 1 we know -> for every |a-b|<d_0 exists |f(a)-f(b)|<e
from 2 we know -> for every |x-y|<d exists |g(x)-g(y)|<d_0
let a=g(x) and b=g(y) then
for every x,y |x-y|<d exists |fg(x)-fg(y)|<e.

Sorry for my poor formulation, English is not my mother tongue.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with it?

I'll be more then happy if this is right...
I'm just not sure.

Yes, it's correct.

Estro:

You need to be careful to specify where (in their respective domains) f and g
are uniformly continuous. Otherwise your statement is not true. I think Zhentil
assumed f,g were everywhere unif. continuous.

Oh, thanks for the remark.
I indeed intended for every x,y in R.

Related to Uniform continuity of composite function

1. What is uniform continuity of composite function?

Uniform continuity of composite function refers to a mathematical property that states that the composite of two uniformly continuous functions is also uniformly continuous. This means that the change in one function will cause a proportional change in the other function, maintaining a continuous relationship.

2. How is uniform continuity of composite function different from pointwise continuity?

Uniform continuity of composite function is a stronger condition than pointwise continuity. Pointwise continuity only requires that the individual functions are continuous at each point, while uniform continuity of composite function requires that the composite function is continuous over the entire domain.

3. What is the importance of uniform continuity of composite function?

Uniform continuity of composite function is important in mathematical analysis and the study of functions. It allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of composite functions based on the behavior of their component functions, making it a useful tool in solving complex problems.

4. How is uniform continuity of composite function related to the concept of continuity?

Uniform continuity of composite function is a specific type of continuity. It ensures that the composite function remains continuous, even as the individual functions change. In other words, it guarantees that the composite function will not have any sudden jumps or breaks, maintaining its overall smoothness.

5. Can uniform continuity of composite function be applied to non-mathematical contexts?

Yes, the concept of uniform continuity of composite function can be applied to other disciplines and contexts, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help in understanding relationships between different variables and in making predictions about their behavior.