Uniform continuity and boundedness

In summary: So in summary, it is possible for a function to be uniformly continuous, but unbounded on an open interval. There is a theorem that states that if a function is UC on a bounded domain, then the function is bounded.
mgiddy911
In my analysis class we were posed the following question:
Give an example of a uniformly continuous function f: (0,1) ---> R'
such that f' exists on (0,1) and is unbounded.

we came up with the example that f(x) = x*sin(1/x) if you interpret the question to mean f' is unbounded, not f itself.

Our teacher then asked us to ponder whether it is possible for the condition to be reversed, ie. what if the unbounded is referring to f(x) not f'(x). Is it possible for f(x) to be uniformly continuous but unbounded on the open interval.

The only thing I have thought would be if it had an infinite discontinuity at the end point. Like if the function went to positive infinity at x=1. Is it possible for what ever curve would do that to still satisfy the necessary conditions to be uniformly continuous?

Physics news on Phys.org
any uniformly continuous function on a bounded set is bounded

the answer is no. ircdan's statement is correct. Note that there do exist unbounded functions (on unbounded domains) that are uniformly continuous, the fixed map from R to R is a straightforward example.

A useful theorem about uniform continuity: if a function,f, is UC on a dense subset D of R then there exists a continuous extension of f into R.

Since (0,1) is dense in the closed unit interval there exists a continuous extension to [0,1]. This extension is continuous on a compact interval and the max/min theorem says that this function is bounded. Clearly these bounds also work for f on (0,1).

That a function that is UC on a bounded domain is bounded can also be proved directly and is not so difficult.

Does an open interval such as (0,1) count as a bounded set?
I am familiar with the boundedness theorem, a continuous function on a compact interval is bounded. But this is not a function on a compact interval so I didn't think that theorem applied

Ok, thank you. I think I understand now. As I said earlier I am familiar with boundedness theorem, and or the max/min theorems. I was not sure how they applied to the open intervals.

if f is UC on (0,1) there exists a function g that is continuous on [0,1] and for all x in (0,1), f(x)=g(x).

this is the meaning of a continuous extension.

Thanks again to everyone that helped out.

Related to Uniform continuity and boundedness

What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a property of a function that describes how the function behaves as its input values get closer to each other. A function is uniformly continuous if, for any two points in its domain, the difference between their output values is always less than a certain amount regardless of how close the input values are to each other.

How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Regular continuity only requires that the function's output values get closer to each other as the input values get closer. Uniform continuity requires that the function's output values get arbitrarily close to each other, regardless of how close the input values are.

What does it mean for a function to be bounded?

A function is bounded if its output values are always limited to a certain range. This means that there are two numbers, called bounds, that the function's output values will always fall between. In other words, the function's values will never get too large or too small.

Is every uniformly continuous function also bounded?

No, not every uniformly continuous function is bounded. For example, the function f(x) = x is uniformly continuous, but its output values can be arbitrarily large or small. However, if a function is uniformly continuous on a closed and bounded interval, then it is also bounded.

How can uniform continuity and boundedness be used in real-world applications?

Uniform continuity and boundedness are important concepts in mathematics and science, and they have many practical applications. For example, they are used in physics to describe the behavior of physical systems, in economics to model market trends, and in engineering to design stable and efficient systems. Additionally, these concepts are also used in computer science and data analysis to ensure the accuracy and efficiency of algorithms and models.