Uniform Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a decrease in mass on the velocity and angular momentum of an object in uniform circular motion. There is debate about whether the angular momentum remains constant or changes due to the evaporation of CO2 from the object. The direction in which the gas escapes may play a role in determining the change in angular momentum. It is suggested that the book's answer may be incorrect and further clarification is needed.
Nugso
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An object is in uniform circular motion. As the time passes by, its mass decreases. ( It has Co2 in it, and it evaporates) What will happen to the object's velocity and angular momentum?

Homework Equations

F = mV²/r, L = mvr

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm trying to figure out if the centripetal force will change. According to the first formula, it seems like it will. ( As the mass of the object decreases). But I do think that maybe the object will increase in order to balance so that the centripetal force won't change.

The answer is = V increases, L does not change. Even if the V increases, it'll increase to balance the decrease of mass(Actually, V² will increase proportionally to M, so in all cases angular moment mvr, should decrease)

Can anybody help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think the answer where the angular momentum of the mass is constant is correct. The mass evaporates alright, but the vapor carries angular momentum away with it. You cannot just assume that does not happen, that would be nonphysical, unless you can describe some plausible mechanism preventing that.

voko said:
I do not think the answer where the angular momentum of the mass is constant is correct. The mass evaporates alright, but the vapor carries angular momentum away with it. You cannot just assume that does not happen, that would be nonphysical, unless you can describe some plausible mechanism preventing that.

Thanks voko. I kind of think the same. In all cases I've thought of so far, angular moment changes. Well, guess the answer given by the book is incorrect.

The problem is very badly worded. For instance, it is not clear what the object is rotating about. If that is its center of mass, and the axis of rotation do not change, then it is possible for vapors to escape axially, without affecting the angular momentum of the object.

In any other configuration, that seems impossible.

In this situation, much depends on the possible direction(s) for the gas to escape. If the gas can escape in all possible directions equally, then it will on average take away the angular momentum proportional to its mass. If any direction is preferred, then it may increase or decrease the angular momentum of the rotating body, but the rate of the increase or decrease will depend on many factors.

voko said:
In this situation, much depends on the possible direction(s) for the gas to escape. If the gas can escape in all possible directions equally, then it will on average take away the angular momentum proportional to its mass. If any direction is preferred, then it may increase or decrease the angular momentum of the rotating body, but the rate of the increase or decrease will depend on many factors.

Oh. I beg your pardon. I did not think that it was important. It says that the gas goes perpendicular to horizontal plane. By the way, how's that important at all?

Nugso said:
Oh. I beg your pardon. I did not think that it was important. It says that the gas goes perpendicular to horizontal plane. By the way, how's that important at all?

Still somewhat unclear. If the gas escapes vertically relatively to the rotating mass, then relatively to the fixed center of rotation it will still have the horizontal velocity equal to that of the rotating mass.

If, however, the gas escapes vertically relatively to the fixed center of rotation, then it will have zero horizontal velocity. But that means that, relatively to the rotating mass, it will have to escape at a certain angle and with a very specific escape velocity, which is possible, but requires careful engineering.

voko said:
Still somewhat unclear. If the gas escapes vertically relatively to the rotating mass, then relatively to the fixed center of rotation it will still have the horizontal velocity equal to that of the rotating mass.

If, however, the gas escapes vertically relatively to the fixed center of rotation, then it will have zero horizontal velocity. But that means that, relatively to the rotating mass, it will have to escape at a certain angle and with a very specific escape velocity, which is possible, but requires careful engineering.

Thank you very much voko. I hope it's the book's mistake, not mine.

Related to Uniform Circular Motion

What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object covers the same distance in the same amount of time, regardless of where it is on the circular path.

What causes an object to undergo Uniform Circular Motion?

An object undergoes Uniform Circular Motion when there is a constant force acting on it towards the center of the circle. This force is known as the centripetal force and is required to keep the object moving in a circular path.

What is the difference between Uniform Circular Motion and Simple Harmonic Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at a constant speed, while Simple Harmonic Motion is the back and forth motion of an object along a straight line with a constant period. The major difference between these two is the shape of the path.

What is the significance of Uniform Circular Motion in real-life applications?

Uniform Circular Motion has many real-life applications, such as in amusement park rides, where the circular motion of the ride provides an exciting experience. It is also used in satellite orbits, where satellites move in a circular path around the Earth at a constant speed.

How is the velocity of an object in Uniform Circular Motion related to its acceleration?

In Uniform Circular Motion, the velocity of an object is always tangent to the circular path, while the acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle. The magnitude of the acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of the circle.