Uniform circular motion - frequency vs. centripetal force.

In summary: I think that f = k^Fc where k is any constant is an equation, but not completely sure of that.Well, that certainly is an equation, but it doesn't have anything to do with circular motion!
titaniumfever
I need to find a relationship between the centripetal force and frequency of horizontal circular motion, and then find the theoretical gradient of the graph between log(frequency) vs. log(centripetal force). The radius of the string used was constant at 60cm.

I think that f = k^Fc where k is any constant is an equation, but not completely sure of that.

It isn't helping that the equation above provides me with log(f) = Fc*log(k), when I need to find log(f) as a function of log(Fc)...

Physics news on Phys.org
titaniumfever said:
I need to find a relationship between the centripetal force and frequency of horizontal circular motion, and then find the theoretical gradient of the graph between log(frequency) vs. log(centripetal force). The radius of the string used was constant at 60cm.

I think that f = k^Fc where k is any constant is an equation, but not completely sure of that.
What is the relationship between centripetal force and tangential speed? How is tangential speed related to angular speed or the frequency of circular motion?

AM

Well, that certainly is an equation, but it doesn't have anything to do with circular motion!

If an object moves on a circle of radius R, we can write the "position vector" as [itex]Rcos(\omega t)\vec{i}+ Rsin(\omega t)\vec{j}[/itex]. Since sine and cosine have period [itex]2\pi[/itex], that will have period T where [itex]\omega T= 2\pi[/itex] or [itex]T= 2\pi/\omega[/itex] and [itex]\omega= 2\pi/T[/itex]. The frequency, in radians per second, is [itex]T/2\pi[/itex]. With [itex]\vec{r}= R cos(2\pi t/T)\vec{i}+ R sin(2\pi t/T)\vec{j}[/itex], the velocity vector is the derivative, [itex]\vec{v}= -2\pi R/T sin(2\pi t/T)\vec{i}+ 2\pi R/T cos(2\pi t/T)\vec{j}[/itex], and the acceleration is the second deriative, [itex]\vec{a}= -4\pi^2 R/T^2 cos(2\pi t/T)\vec{i}- 4\pi^2 R/T^2 sin(2\pi t/T)\vec{j}[/itex]. Since "Force = mass *acceleration", the strength of the force holding the mass in circular motion must be [itex]F= 4m\pi^2 R/T^2[/itex] and, since [itex]f= 2\pi/T[/itex], [itex]F= mRf^2[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
Well, that certainly is an equation, but it doesn't have anything to do with circular motion!

If an object moves on a circle of radius R, we can write the "position vector" as [itex]Rcos(\omega t)\vec{i}+ Rsin(\omega t)\vec{j}[/itex]. Since sine and cosine have period [itex]2\pi[/itex], that will have period T where [itex]\omega T= 2\pi[/itex] or [itex]T= 2\pi/\omega[/itex] and [itex]\omega= 2\pi/T[/itex]. The frequency, in radians per second, is [itex]T/2\pi[/itex]. With [itex]\vec{r}= R cos(2\pi t/T)\vec{i}+ R sin(2\pi t/T)\vec{j}[/itex], the velocity vector is the derivative, [itex]\vec{v}= -2\pi R/T sin(2\pi t/T)\vec{i}+ 2\pi R/T cos(2\pi t/T)\vec{j}[/itex], and the acceleration is the second deriative, [itex]\vec{a}= -4\pi^2 R/T^2 cos(2\pi t/T)\vec{i}- 4\pi^2 R/T^2 sin(2\pi t/T)\vec{j}[/itex]. Since "Force = mass *acceleration", the strength of the force holding the mass in circular motion must be [itex]F= 4m\pi^2 R/T^2[/itex] and, since [itex]f= 2\pi/T[/itex], [itex]F= mRf^2[/itex]
I think it is simpler to use [itex]F = ma = mv^2/r [/itex] where [itex]v = 2\pi r/T = 2\pi r\nu[/itex]. It is pretty easy to work out F as a function of frequency [itex]\nu[/itex] from that.

AM

Related to Uniform circular motion - frequency vs. centripetal force.

1. What is the relationship between frequency and centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the frequency is directly proportional to the centripetal force. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the centripetal force, and vice versa.

2. How does changing the frequency affect the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

As the frequency increases, the centripetal force also increases. This is because a higher frequency means the object is completing more revolutions in a given amount of time, which requires a greater force to maintain the circular motion.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts perpendicular to the object's velocity and always points towards the center of the circle.

4. Can the centripetal force in uniform circular motion be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the centripetal force can be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the centripetal force is dependent on the object's speed and the radius of the circular path, while weight is dependent on the mass and gravity. It is possible for the centripetal force to be large enough to overcome the weight of the object, causing it to move in a circular path rather than falling to the ground.

5. How does changing the radius of the circular path affect the frequency and centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Changing the radius of the circular path does not affect the frequency in uniform circular motion, as long as the speed of the object remains constant. However, it does affect the centripetal force. As the radius decreases, the centripetal force increases, and vice versa. This is because a smaller radius requires a tighter turn, which in turn requires a greater force to maintain the circular motion.