Uniform circular motion and tension of a string

In summary: Fn = 21N --> centripetal force Now what?? :Scentripetal force =mω2rm is the massω is the angular velocityr is the radiusfrom this you can find ωfrom ω you can easily find rev/minIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in the lower string and the rotation rate of a system where a 0.60 kg sphere rotates around a vertical shaft supported by two strings. The tension in the upper string is given as 18N and the vertical component of this tension is found to be 10.8N. The vertical component of the tension in the lower string is calculated to be 8.2N. To find
robbyrandhawa

Homework Statement

a 0.60 kg sphere rotates around a vertical shaft supported by 2 strings, as shown. if the tension in upper string is 18N calculate.

a) tension in lower string?
b) rotation rate (in rev/min) of the system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

there is image of the picture.

i have part a.
Fnvertical=18Ncos53 = 10.8N
Fn2=mg-Fn1
Fn2 = (0.60kg*9.8m/s^2)-10.8
Fn2 = 4.92

T2= 4.92/cos53 = 8.2N

Now part b is where i am confused. I did this so far but then i get lost.
Fn= 18Nsin53 + 8.2Nsin53
Fn = 21N --> centripetal force

Now what?? :S

Attachments

• 2013-11-21 20.16.34.jpg
    2013-11-21 20.16.34.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 525
Physics news on Phys.org
Mass and centripetal force give you centripetal acceleration. Centripetal acceleration and radius give you angular speed.

so you saying... since Fn= 21N = centripetal force, i then... r=6.371X10^6m
Fr =maR
Fr = m (v^2/r)
21N = 0.60kg (v^2/6.371X10^8m)
V^2 = 2.223X10^8 ---> take tje square root
v = 1.49X10^4 m/s

from this i plugg into

v = 2(3.14)r / T

get T.. and that is the answer?

OOPS! sorry i got my questions mixed up.. i used the incorrect r... but is the concept behind what i said correct?

in the first answer how you have considered Fnvertical=18Ncos53 = 10.8N ?
isnt fn the vertical component of tension t1

yes i have that for part a... if yu scroll up you will see it there in my original post...

my trouble i am having is for part B

i mean Isn't Fn the vertical component of tension t1

yes... not sure I am quite following you.

You have taken the horizontal componet Fnvertical=18Ncos53 = 10.8N
it should be sin instead of cos

when u look at the image, theta =53 is close to the vertical component, so Fnvertical = a/h = cos 53
to find the vertical component the angle is adjacent to the vertical side that's why it is cos.

Have you figured out the answer?

robbyrandhawa said:
when u look at the image, theta =53 is close to the vertical component, so Fnvertical = a/h = cos 53
to find the vertical component the angle is adjacent to the vertical side that's why it is cos.
The confusion may be because the diagram shows theta as angle to the vertical but there is also a '53' written as the angle to the horizontal.
Anyway, it is not a good idea to find the numerical value of the angle. It introduces extra rounding errors. You only care about the trig functions of the angle, and you can get those directly from the triangle dimensions.
It would help greatly if you would define your variables. it's a pain having to deduce what they mean from the equations, especially since the equations might be wrong. And which directions are you defining as +ve?

robbyrandhawa said:

Homework Statement

Fn = 21N --> centripetal force

Now what?? :S

centripetal force =mω2r

m is the mass
ω is the angular velocity
r is the radius

from this you can find ω
from ω you can easily find rev/min

w = 2pi(r)/T is that the formula you are talking about?

then. T= 1/f ...

robbyrandhawa said:
w = 2pi(r)/T is that the formula you are talking about?
I wouldn't think so. What formula is that?
What formulae do you know for centripetal acceleration? (If you don't know any, search the net.)

Related to Uniform circular motion and tension of a string

What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object traveling in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and in the same direction at all points along the circular path.

What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string is the force that is transmitted through the string when it is pulled tight at both ends. This force is transmitted from one end of the string to the other and is what enables the string to maintain its shape and hold objects in place.

How does tension affect uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the tension in the string acts as the centripetal force, which is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path. If the tension in the string is not enough, the object will move in a larger radius, and if the tension is too much, the object will move in a smaller radius.

What factors affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string is affected by the mass of the object attached to the string, the speed at which the object is moving, and the radius of the circular path. As these factors change, the tension in the string will also change to maintain uniform circular motion.

How is tension calculated in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the tension in a string can be calculated using the equation T = mv²/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This equation is derived from Newton's second law, F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the object, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration, which in this case is the centripetal acceleration.