Unified theory (Are we close?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a unified theory that explains the universe, with some people expressing doubt that such a theory will ever be achieved. Einstein's dream of a theory of everything is mentioned, as well as the current state of scientific knowledge and the challenges of communicating complex theories to the general public. The conversation also includes a quote from Richard Feynman expressing frustration with discussing these topics and a humorous interaction with fellow physicist Murray Gell-Mann.
hadeka
Einstein was dreaming about theory of everything that unify all the known physical forces in just one theory ... Unfortunately, he died before his dream comes true ...

But nowadays, are we close to a real unified theory that explains the universe?
Or is it just a wishfull stupid metaphysical thinking?!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think anyone can tell really, hopefully something will come out of the LHC.

Well, having read a bit about the general trends of physics and science in general over the past few centuries, I'm inclined to say no. First off, it seems that whenever we think we've got everything figured out, something big happens that no one can predict. Second, I'm not sure how much it matters. Unifying the physical forces is pretty nice to see an underlying simplicity and symmetry to the universe, but the event would likely pass unnoticed by anyone not in the field.

Nabeshin said:
Well, having read a bit about the general trends of physics and science in general over the past few centuries, I'm inclined to say no. First off, it seems that whenever we think we've got everything figured out, something big happens that no one can predict. Second, I'm not sure how much it matters. Unifying the physical forces is pretty nice to see an underlying simplicity and symmetry to the universe, but the event would likely pass unnoticed by anyone not in the field.

That person would or should get, at least, their 15 minutes of fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_minutes_of_fame

rewebster said:
That person would or should get, at least, their 15 minutes of fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_minutes_of_fame

Agreed, but the general public would likely not understand the significance of the work. I find it difficult to imagine someone going on Jay Leno and discussing the finer points of string theory with him.

Nabeshin said:
Agreed, but the general public would likely not understand the significance of the work. I find it difficult to imagine someone going on Jay Leno and discussing the finer points of string theory with him.

It would surely be on the front page of the newspaper, though, with some snazzy headline that doesn't really have all that much to do with the theory, but will get people's attention.

To answer the OP: are we close? I don't know, and I don't think anyone does.

Nabeshin said:

Agree with you--

I think Charlie Rose is one of the most intuitive, well rounded interviewers on the tube, but when it came, even, to his interview with Lisa Randall, the look on his face during most of the interview was one of "what the hell is she talking about?"

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2006/12/12/1/a-conversation-about-physics-with-lisa-randall

I was laughing through most of it --just from the expressions on HIS face (and some of the statements about ST/MWI/whatever)

Last edited by a moderator:
hadeka said:
But nowadays, are we close to a real unified theory that explains the universe?
Or is it just a wishfull stupid metaphysical thinking?!

I'm compelled to quote James Gleick on Feynman:

“So we aren't any closer to unification than we were in Einstein's time?” the historian asked. Feynman grew angry. “It's a crazy question!...We're certainly closer. We know more. And if there's a finite amount to be known, we obviously must be closer to having the knowledge, okay? I don't know how to make this into a sensible question... It's all so stupid. All these interviews are always so damned useless.”

He rose from his desk and walked out the door and down the corridor, drumming his knuckles along the wall. The writer heard him shout, just before he disappeared: “It's goddamned useless to talk about these things! It's a complete waste of time! The history of these things is nonsense! You're trying to make something difficult and complicated out of something that's simple and beautiful.”

Across the hall Murray Gell-Mann looked out of his office. “I see you've met Dick,” he said.

"“So we aren't any closer to unification than we were in Einstein's time?” the historian asked. Feynman grew angry. “It's a crazy question!...We're certainly closer. We know more. And if there's a finite amount to be known, we obviously must be closer to having the knowledge, okay? I don't know how to make this into a sensible question... It's all so stupid. All these interviews are always so damned useless.”

He rose from his desk and walked out the door and down the corridor, drumming his knuckles along the wall. The writer heard him shout, just before he disappeared: “It's goddamned useless to talk about these things! It's a complete waste of time! The history of these things is nonsense! You're trying to make something difficult and complicated out of something that's simple and beautiful.”

Across the hall Murray Gell-Mann looked out of his office. “I see you've met Dick,” he said."

Haha who could not love him?

Related to Unified theory (Are we close?)

1. What is a unified theory?

A unified theory, also known as a theory of everything, is a theoretical framework that aims to explain and unite all fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. Have we found a unified theory yet?

No, a complete and validated unified theory has not yet been discovered. Scientists are still working to find a theory that can successfully combine all known physical laws.

3. How close are we to finding a unified theory?

It is difficult to say exactly how close we are to finding a unified theory. Some scientists believe we are close, while others believe it may still be decades or even centuries away.

4. What are the challenges in finding a unified theory?

One of the main challenges in finding a unified theory is reconciling the differences between the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. These two theories currently provide explanations for different aspects of the universe and have not yet been successfully combined into one cohesive framework.

5. What are the potential implications of finding a unified theory?

Discovering a unified theory would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to breakthroughs in technology and advancements in fields such as cosmology and particle physics.