Unexpected window maximizations from rapid backspaces?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, when you rapidly backspace, the PF window can go from regular to maximized on your screen, which can be annoying. This only happens to me in the Reply boxes on PF, and upgrading IE to version 8 may fix the problem.
berkeman
Mentor
Has this happened to anybody else? I'm not quite sure of the keystroke combination to make it happen reliably, but it happens to me a couple times a day posting here, and it's pretty annoying for me.

When I'm typing in the Reply box (it mostly happens in Advanced Reply, but may happen occasionally in the Quick Reply box as well), if I'm backspacing quickly (like from the end of a word back towards the beginning of it where I see a typo), the PF window will go from regular to maximized on my screen. It's annoying because it's unexpected, and looks like my screen is exploding or something :bugeye:

I'm on Vista with IE7 right now. I thought at first that maybe I was accidentally brushing the ALT key or some other special key as I backspaced, but now I've been paying more attention, and I think it only needs the rapid backspaces to happen. I've also searched Windows Help for some key-combination that is a shorcut for maximize window, but didn't find any.

As far as I can tell, it only happens to me here on the PF in the Reply boxes. :-p

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Has this happened to anybody else? I'm not quite sure of the keystroke combination to make it happen reliably, but it happens to me a couple times a day posting here, and it's pretty annoying for me.

When I'm typing in the Reply box (it mostly happens in Advanced Reply, but may happen occasionally in the Quick Reply box as well), if I'm backspacing quickly (like from the end of a word back towards the beginning of it where I see a typo), the PF window will go from regular to maximized on my screen. It's annoying because it's unexpected, and looks like my screen is exploding or something :bugeye:

I'm on Vista with IE7 right now. I thought at first that maybe I was accidentally brushing the ALT key or some other special key as I backspaced, but now I've been paying more attention, and I think it only needs the rapid backspaces to happen. I've also searched Windows Help for some key-combination that is a shorcut for maximize window, but didn't find any.

As far as I can tell, it only happens to me here on the PF in the Reply boxes. :-p

Thanks.

What do you mean when you say 'maximized', do you mean going from a smaller screen which you can resize to a fixed sized screen which takes up the whole screen, BUT you can still see the 'start' menu and the 'minimize/restore/close' buttons in the top corner. Or do you mean your browser is going into fullscreen mode where the webpage takes up the entire screen. (normally it happens if you press f11).
You may have changed the hotkey unknowingly to do this. I tried getting similar results as I'm using vista and have IE on my laptop but nothing happens. Maybe instead of hitting the backspace button you could just hold it down and just let go once it hits where you made your mistake?

Great feedback, thanks. I apologize that I don't know the right terminology. When you look at the upper right of a window, it has left-to right, a minimize button, a 2nd button, and a kill/X button. If you are in standard window mode, the 2nd button gives you the option to maximize. If you are in maximized mode, the 2nd button gives you the option to pull down to a standard window.

Maybe you could try upgrading IE to version 8. I know 7 was a 'beta' version and that there were a few bus with the backspace in particular I just can't get similar results :-p

I haven't had that problem, though, when typing a reply yesterday, I didn't touch anything that should have zoomed my page out, but it did zoom out. And, twice (once yesterday and once today) I've had my replies post twice with only a single click, and a LONG lag. I deleted the extra post, but don't know where it came from. If I clicked twice thinking it didn't take the first time due to lag, I would know what happened, but even if somehow it was interpreted as a double click, the second copy should have been caught as posting too soon after the first (that 30 second delay between posts) and wasn't.

Greg might want to take a peek under the hood and find out if something needs fixing.

Thanks MB. It's good to hear somebody else had an unexpected zoom-out. Maybe I'll try searching the VB pages for zoom out issues.

Related to Unexpected window maximizations from rapid backspaces?

1. Why do unexpected window maximizations occur when I press backspace quickly?

Unexpected window maximizations can occur when pressing backspace too quickly because most operating systems have a keyboard shortcut that maximizes the current window when the backspace key is pressed multiple times in rapid succession. This is often done as a convenience feature for users who want to quickly maximize a window without using a mouse.

2. Can I disable this feature?

Yes, most operating systems allow users to customize keyboard shortcuts and disable this feature. For example, in Windows, you can go to the Control Panel and navigate to "Ease of Access" > "Make the keyboard easier to use" and uncheck the box next to "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen". This will disable the backspace shortcut for window maximization.

3. Are there any other keyboard shortcuts that can cause unexpected window maximizations?

Yes, there may be other keyboard shortcuts that can cause unexpected window maximizations depending on the operating system and programs you are using. For example, in macOS, pressing Command + Option + M will maximize the current window. It is important to familiarize yourself with these shortcuts and disable them if they are causing issues.

4. Can a virus or malware cause unexpected window maximizations?

In rare cases, a virus or malware may be the cause of unexpected window maximizations. If you are experiencing this issue frequently and have ruled out any keyboard shortcuts or settings as the cause, it is recommended to run a virus scan on your computer to ensure it is not infected.

5. Is there any way to prevent accidental window maximizations when pressing backspace quickly?

One way to prevent accidental window maximizations when pressing backspace quickly is to use a keyboard shortcut remapping tool. These tools allow you to customize keyboard shortcuts and can be used to change the backspace shortcut to something else, such as Ctrl + Backspace. This will prevent accidental maximizations when typing quickly.