Undetermined Coefficients Initial Value Question

In summary: C1e2x+C2e-2x...so then the final answer would be (12.25)e2x+(-3.25)e-2x+15xe4xIn summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the differential equation y''-4y=60e4t with initial conditions of y(0)=9 and y'(0)=2. The incorrect use of the method of undetermined coefficients is pointed out and the correct solution using the characteristic equation (r+2)(r-2) is provided. The final solution is given as (12.25)e2x+(-3.25)e-2x+15xe4x.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

y''-4y=60e4t

y(0)=9 and y'(0)=2

Homework Equations

none in particular

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved for the auxiliary equation.

r2-4r
r(r-4)
r=0, 4

So the general solution for the homogenous form is C1e0x+C2e4x where C1 and C2 are unknown coefficients to be found.

The particular solution is calculating by considering Yp= AXe4x
Differentiating that twice, and solving for Yp, I get Yp=15xe4x

So the general solution for this is obtained by adding the homogeneous and the particular. So I get: C1e0x+C2e4x +15xe4x

I differentiated this equation and got 4C2+15e4x+60x4x

So then I got 4C2+15=2, so C2=-3.25
Also, from the general solution C1+C2=9, so C1=12.25

The final answer I got was (12.25)e0x+-3.25e4x+15xe4x but this is wrong. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
you are not using the method of undeteremined coefficients i don't think. try searching that up on google.

Your characteristic equation is wrong.

~Sam~ said:

Homework Statement

y''-4y=60e4t

y(0)=9 and y'(0)=2

Homework Equations

none in particular

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved for the auxiliary equation.

r2-4r
r(r-4)
r=0, 4

So the general solution for the homogenous form is C1e0x+C2e4x where C1 and C2 are unknown coefficients to be found.

The particular solution is calculating by considering Yp= AXe4x
Differentiating that twice, and solving for Yp, I get Yp=15xe4x

So the general solution for this is obtained by adding the homogeneous and the particular. So I get: C1e0x+C2e4x +15xe4x

I differentiated this equation and got 4C2+15e4x+60x4x

So then I got 4C2+15=2, so C2=-3.25
Also, from the general solution C1+C2=9, so C1=12.25

The final answer I got was (12.25)e0x+-3.25e4x+15xe4x but this is wrong. Any ideas?

vela said:
Your characteristic equation is wrong.

OHHH I see...thanks for pointing that out.. so the equation would be (r+2)(r-2)...

Related to Undetermined Coefficients Initial Value Question

What is the "undetermined coefficients initial value question"?

The undetermined coefficients initial value question is a type of problem in mathematics, specifically in differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution to a nonhomogeneous linear differential equation with initial conditions.

How is this type of problem solved?

This type of problem is typically solved using the method of undetermined coefficients. This method involves finding a particular solution that satisfies the nonhomogeneous part of the equation, based on the form of the nonhomogeneous term. The general solution is then found by combining the particular solution with the solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation.

What are initial conditions in this context?

In the context of undetermined coefficients initial value questions, initial conditions refer to the specific values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a given point. These conditions are used to determine the particular solution to the nonhomogeneous equation.

What are some common forms of nonhomogeneous terms in these types of problems?

Some common forms of nonhomogeneous terms in undetermined coefficients initial value questions include polynomials, exponential functions, sine and cosine functions, and combinations of these. The form of the nonhomogeneous term determines the form of the particular solution.

Are there any limitations to the method of undetermined coefficients?

Yes, there are some limitations to the method of undetermined coefficients. It is only applicable to linear differential equations with constant coefficients and certain types of nonhomogeneous terms. In some cases, the method may also fail to find a particular solution or may produce incorrect solutions.