Underwater projectile affected by Coriolis Effect

In summary, the Coriolis effect is a negligible force when compared to other disturbances for torpedoes underwater. Since WWI, torpedoes have been equipped with gyroscopic stabilization and guidance systems to maintain their trajectory. If a simulation is not modeling currents or other disturbances, there is no need to worry about the Coriolis effect. However, this may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Additionally, all torpedoes built in the 1970s were equipped with both stabilization and guidance systems.
minghia
If I am trying to fire a torpedo at another vehicle underwater do I need to worry about the Coriolis Effect? The speeds that torpedoes travel at are approximately 20 m/s and have a maximum range of around 10km.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Coriolis effect is even stronger for underwater object than for the one moving in vacuum. But it still is negligible when compared to other forces disturbing the torpedo trajectory (water currents, waves, imperfect geometry, etc.) so since WWI (when torpedos reached range bigger than 1000 meters) all torpedoes are equipped with gyroscopic stabilisation of their course and/or some kind of guidance.

I am trying to simulate a firing system for torpedoes and the only positional information I get about the launch vehicle is its latitude. I am curious as to why this is the case. I guessed the targetting solution may be affected by the Coriolis effect. If I wasn't modelling currents or any other underwater disturbance would I need to worry about it?

So if I only plot an intercept course for the target that should be sufficient?

Also is what you are saying about stabilsation true for a torpedo built in the 1970s?

xts said:
Coriolis effect is even stronger for underwater object than for the one moving in vacuum.
Why?

@A.T.
torpedo itself is affected by Coriolis force in the same manner as a projectile moving in vacuum. Let's say (we are on Northern hemisphere) to the right. But the water surrounding it flows around in opposite direction. The water is affected by Coriolis force to its right, which causes hydrostatic pressure gradient, giving higher pressure on the left side of torpedo, giving thus additional force pushing it to the right. Actually - I am not able to calculate it precisely nor even to estimate the magnitude of this additional force, but sureley it adds up additional force in the same direction as Coriolis force.

@Minghia: "If I wasn't modelling currents or any other underwater disturbance would I need to worry about it?"
Of course, not. But that means your model is unrealistic.

"Also is what you are saying about stabilsation true for a torpedo built in the 1970s?"
All torpedoes built in 1970' were not only stabilized, but also guided by some system, like sonar, passive sonar, or remote guidance. Guided torpedoes were introduced during WW-II, while gyroscopic stabilisation was added to torpedoe mechanisms as early as at beginning of WW-I.
See wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedoe

Last edited:

Related to Underwater projectile affected by Coriolis Effect

1. How does the Coriolis Effect affect underwater projectiles?

The Coriolis Effect refers to the apparent deflection of objects in motion due to the rotation of the Earth. In the case of underwater projectiles, it can cause them to deviate from their intended trajectory as they move through different water layers with varying speeds and directions.

2. What factors contribute to the Coriolis Effect on underwater projectiles?

The Coriolis Effect on underwater projectiles is influenced by the speed and direction of the projectile, as well as the latitude and depth of the water. The rotation of the Earth also plays a significant role in determining the magnitude and direction of the deflection.

3. How does the Coriolis Effect impact the accuracy of underwater projectile weapons?

The Coriolis Effect can significantly affect the accuracy of underwater projectile weapons, especially over long distances. The deflection caused by this phenomenon may lead to missed targets or decreased impact force on the intended target.

4. Can the Coriolis Effect be countered when using underwater projectiles?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect can be countered by taking into account the rotation of the Earth and making adjustments to the trajectory and speed of the projectile. This can be achieved through advanced calculations and adjustments made by the operator of the weapon.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Coriolis Effect on underwater projectiles?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect is a crucial factor to consider in naval warfare, particularly for submarine-launched weapons. It is also essential in the development of underwater drones and other autonomous underwater vehicles that rely on precise navigation and targeting systems.