Understanding Zero-Point Energy: An Explanation for Confused Minds

In summary, quantum mechanics is confusing for an expert like yourself, and there are still some unanswered questions about zero-point energy.
NJV
I'm fed up. Quantum mechanics keeps confusing me. Is there anyone who can explain in as straightforward a way as possible what exactly zero-point energy is? In particular, there are two things I find quite confusing:

1) Why could zero-point energy be infinite?

2) It is said that the zero point energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator (which I assume includes is equal to one half h-bar times the angular velocity, and that this is the lowest energy it can achieve. Here, the angular velocity in the equation is a variable, and therefore so is the zero point energy. How can there be a lower limit to the angular velocity of the system, and therefore to energy the system can achieve?

Physics news on Phys.org
The zero point energy you can think of that since you can't determine position and momentum simultaneuosly, the particle/state must have momentum (hence energy) to be localized before a measurment.

Think of this: A particle subject to the harmonic oscillator potential would have zero energy and hence zero momentum (recall we are in non relativistic quantum mechanics where E = p^2/2m). Now that particle/state would be totally smeared in space:
[tex] \Delta p \Delta x > \hbar [/tex]
So if momentum, p, is known for sure (it is equal to zero) then Delta x must "be infinity" i.e not certain / localized at all!

Classically, you can think of the quantum harmonic oscillator to vibrate even at 0K !

Thank you for your reply, Malawi. I must say I'm still in the dark, however.

Heisenberg is about measurement. Does this really have anything to do with how the particle actually is? Why can't one just assume a particle, hypothetically, to have an energy below the zero-point energy? Also, your deduction does not explain why there should be a lower limit at exactly h-bar/(2*omega).

For the record, I also still don't understand why omega would have a lower limit.

you don't know what the particle have for energy until you measure it so the thing is that you will never be able to measure the energy = 0 for a particle.

No, no particle can have energy below energy below 0-point energy, no particle can have energy between the energy eigenvalues:

E_n = (1/2 + n)*hbar*omega

Omega has first of all discrete values and of them are the lowest one (which is non zero) Mathematically, this is just consequence of theory of differential equations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator
That is the REAL DEAL why the states have the energies they have.

So if you can accept that omega is DISCRETE, you should be able to accept that it can (and does have) a smallest value.

A-ha! Right, I forgot — the energy is quantized. Quantum mechanics. Duh.

That positively answers my question. Thank you.

an infinite number of quantum oscillators (if you believe that) equals an infinite amount of energy.

what would happen if the quantum oscillators had more energy than 0-point energy. would it radiate away as photons?

it depends on what transition matrix element you have between the states

Related to Understanding Zero-Point Energy: An Explanation for Confused Minds

1. What is zero-point energy?

Zero-point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system can possess. It is the energy that particles possess even at absolute zero temperature due to their inherent motion.

2. How is zero-point energy related to zeroes?

The concept of zero-point energy is not directly related to zeroes in the mathematical sense. Instead, it refers to the energy associated with the lowest possible state or "zero-point" of a system. The term "zeroes" may be used colloquially to refer to particles or systems with very low or undetectable energy levels.

3. Can zero-point energy be harnessed for practical use?

There is ongoing research and debate about the potential practical applications of zero-point energy. Some theories suggest that it could be used as a source of renewable energy, while others argue that it is impossible to extract or utilize this energy in a meaningful way.

4. Is zero-point energy the same as vacuum energy?

While the two terms are often used interchangeably, they are not exactly the same. Vacuum energy refers to the energy associated with empty space, while zero-point energy is the minimum energy that particles possess even in a vacuum. In other words, zero-point energy is a subset of vacuum energy.

5. What implications does zero-point energy have for the laws of thermodynamics?

Zero-point energy challenges the traditional laws of thermodynamics, as it suggests that particles can have energy even at absolute zero temperature. This concept is still being explored and studied in the scientific community, and its impact on our understanding of thermodynamics is a topic of ongoing research.