Understanding Waves for Solving Problems

• Thread starter StillAnotherDave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation is about a question on waves where the speaker is looking for help because they missed the lecture. They mention a formula and the concept of destructive interference. Another person suggests watching videos to understand the concept and then using math to solve the question.
StillAnotherDave
Homework Statement
Waves question (year one)
Relevant Equations
Not sure
1576158606391.png
Hello folks,

I'm having trouble getting started on this question about waves. I missed the associated lecture and don't know which formulae I need to be thinking about. Any help towards an approach to the questions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The register of zero at the 44.4° and 64.6° means that there is maximum destructive interference at these points. I don't think that the two sources can be assumed to be of the same wavelength. I imagine the formula dsinθ = (m+1/2)λ is relevant?

StillAnotherDave said:
I don't think that the two sources can be assumed to be of the same wavelength.
The problem states that "the two sources are driven in phase", which means they have both the same frequency and phase. :smile:

berkeman said:
The problem states that "the two sources are driven in phase", which means they have both the same frequency and phase. :smile:

Ah okay. That's progress already. A hint towards getting started?

StillAnotherDave said:
Ah okay. That's progress already. A hint towards getting started?
Go youtube a few videos on wave interference then you'll understand conceptually what is going on. After that you can start thinking about the math.

StillAnotherDave said:
A hint towards getting started?
StillAnotherDave said:
I imagine the formula dsinθ = (m+1/2)λ is relevant?
:smile:

Related to Understanding Waves for Solving Problems

What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space and matter, transferring energy from one place to another.

What are the types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves. Mechanical waves require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through while electromagnetic waves can travel through empty space.

What is the difference between a transverse wave and a longitudinal wave?

In a transverse wave, the oscillations are perpendicular to the direction of wave travel, while in a longitudinal wave, the oscillations are parallel to the direction of wave travel. Sound waves are an example of longitudinal waves, while light waves are an example of transverse waves.

What is the wavelength of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave is the distance between two consecutive points that are in phase with each other. It is usually measured in meters, and it is inversely proportional to the frequency of the wave.

How does frequency affect waves?

Frequency is the number of complete oscillations of a wave per second and is measured in Hertz (Hz). As frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and the energy of the wave increases. Frequency also determines the pitch of a sound wave and the color of a light wave.