Understanding Wave Reflection and Phase Shifts

In summary, the conversation is discussing the different methods and reasoning behind solving a multiple choice question related to wave reflection. The correct answer is option (C), which involves reflecting the wave as if it were a mirror and then applying a phase shift of pi. The mechanics behind this involve understanding the type of wave and the given information about the phase shift. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the type of wave in order to determine the correct phase shift.
Dalcier
I've attached the multiple choice question.

The first time round that I did it, I simply just did a phase shift of the whole graph by pi. Basically I just translated the whole graph by pi, resulting in option (D).

However, it later came to my attention that by continuing to draw the waveform in the medium itself and simply reflecting it just like a mirror, you will get the reflected and pi phase shift, but this gets the answer as option (B), which is still wrong.

Working backward from the answer, it seems as though i have to use both the reflecting and afterwards translating the whole graph by pi in order to get the answer, which is option (C)?

Can anyone explain the mechanics behind the methods of what I'm doing? Or perhaps just an explanation to better understand the mechanics of the wave reflection?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Wave Reflection.jpg
    Wave Reflection.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

Dalcier said:
Working backward from the answer, it seems as though i have to use both the reflecting and afterwards translating the whole graph by pi in order to get the answer, which is option (C)?
Yes, that's the one.
Can anyone explain the mechanics behind the methods of what I'm doing? Or perhaps just an explanation to better understand the mechanics of the wave reflection?

Thank you!
Okay, but you pretty much have reasoned it out already. The reasoning is a two step process:

First, take the wave that would be transmitted beyond the surface (as you drew in the figure), and reflect it as if the surface were a mirror.

Second, you apply the given information about the phase to the reflected wave. In this case, shift it by pi because that was given information. We don't know what type of wave this is, so we don't know why there is a phase shift; we're just using the information given to us that there is a phase shift.

A further remark:

The phase-shift information depends on the type of wave, and isn't always pi for every type of wave. For example, if the wave were describing the air pressure then it would not get a shift of pi. On the other hand, if the wave is describing the motion of air molecules, then is does get a pi phase shift.

Hope that helps.

Related to Understanding Wave Reflection and Phase Shifts

What is a cosine wave reflection?

A cosine wave reflection is the phenomenon where a wave, in this case a cosine wave, bounces off a surface or boundary and changes direction.

What causes cosine wave reflection?

Cosine wave reflection is caused by the properties of the medium in which the wave is traveling, such as changes in density or refractive index, as well as the angle at which the wave hits the boundary.

How does cosine wave reflection affect the amplitude and wavelength of the wave?

When a cosine wave reflects off a surface, its amplitude stays the same but its wavelength changes. The amplitude remains constant because the energy of the wave is conserved, but the wavelength changes because of the change in direction.

Can cosine wave reflection occur on all types of boundaries?

Yes, cosine wave reflection can occur on all types of boundaries, including solid-solid, solid-liquid, and liquid-gas boundaries. The specific characteristics of the boundary, such as its density or refractive index, will determine the extent to which the wave is reflected.

How is cosine wave reflection used in real-world applications?

Cosine wave reflection is used in various real-world applications, such as sonar and radar technology, where waves are emitted and reflected off objects to determine their distance and location. It is also used in optics, such as in mirrors and lenses, to manipulate light and create images.