Contradictory Sources: Trying to understand waves on a rope being reflected at a boundary

• Thread starter AsemEzzat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave speed
AsemEzzat
Homework Statement
I apologize for putting this here, but I don't know where to put it.
Relevant Equations
None
My physics book says the following:
"If the waves in the smaller spring have a greater speed because the spring is stiffer, then the reflected wave will be inverted"
This indicates that a stiffer/denser spring results in a greater speed and vice versa
Now Google, ChatGPT, and an online source (Alef) say that
"What happens if you send the same wave pulse through the rope, but it is now attached to a stiffer, heavier rope?

As you can see, some of the energy is transmitted through the second rope. This is refraction. The wave slows down at the boundary. The rest of the energy in the wave reflects back."
And Google says that denser springs slow the wave

Did I understand the physics book wrong or is the book wrong?

Once again sorry for posting it here.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you can't learn physics from Google or ChatGPT.

In general, a sound or pressure wave will move faster through a stiffer material. Compare a slinky with an iron bar, as extreme examples.

That said, it's not clear to me precisely which scenario you are considering.

Likes AsemEzzat
There are plenty of videos out there showing this in action.
Here's one:

Which of the scenarios you mention matches the real world demos?

Likes AsemEzzat
The scenario I am referring to is transmission. I want to know how speed is affected when going from heavy to light and opposite.

Plenty of intuitive real world examples too.

Speed of vibrations in water compared to air...
Speed of vibrations in ocean waves when transmitted to a ship's steel hull...
Speed of seismic activity through Earth compared to through air...

Likes AsemEzzat
So, transmission to denser materials, that is stiffer, slows down the wave. So, when the wave is going from heavy to light, it will go faster.

AsemEzzat said:
So, transmission to denser materials, that is stiffer, slows down the wave. So, when the wave is going from heavy to light, it will go faster.
On what evidence do you base that conclusion?

Likes AsemEzzat
Well, firstly air is less dense than water and sound can hardly be heard underwater, so this means the incident wave has greater speed than transmitted wave. So, we can say the opposite is true, a wave going from a denser medium to a less dense medium will be faster. Am I wrong?

AsemEzzat said:
Well, firstly air is less dense than water and sound can hardly be heard underwater,
Whether or not it can hardly be heard does not bear upon how fast it moves.

Do you know why it is much more difficult for a person to tell where a sound is coming from underwater compared to on land? It's because humans can't echolocate underwater. We are able echo locate on land because our brains can tell the very slight difference in arrival times between our two ears. In water, the sounds arrives at both our ears at almost exactly the same time, so sounds seems to be coming from everywhere.What about the vibrations of a steel freighter in ocean waves? When a wave hits the bow of the ship, which arrives at the pilothouse first? The ocean wave? Or the vibrations through the hull?

• Informative
Likes AsemEzzat
Sound arrives at the almost exactly the same time, while on air there is a slightly larger difference? Waves in denser mediums travel faster then.
So, the vibrations will arrive first. So, a wave going to a denser material will have greater speed and when denser to less denser, it slows down. When denser to lighter, the reflected wave will also be inverted.

AsemEzzat said:
Well, firstly air is less dense than water and sound can hardly be heard underwater, so this means the incident wave has greater speed than transmitted wave.
For information, the speed of sound in air (under typical conditions) is around 340m/s. In water it is around 1500m/s and in iron is around 5100 m/s.

It's important to distingish between the amplitude of a wave and the speed of a wave. In simple terms, it is the amplitude (not the speed) of a sound wave which controls the 'loudness'.

Likes AsemEzzat
When lighter to denser, the reflected wave will be inverted*

Steve4Physics said:
For information, the speed of sound in air (under typical conditions) is around 340m/s. In water it is around 1500m/s and in iron is around 5100 m/s.
And to bookend this list, the speed of sound in diamond - one of the hardest substances known - is 12 kilometres per second. :wink:

• Informative
Likes AsemEzzat
Thank you all for the help, greatly appreciated.

AsemEzzat said:
Thank you all for the help, greatly appreciated.
So, bringing this back to your OP, can you determine which source is right and which is wrong?

Likes AsemEzzat
AsemEzzat said:
stiffer, heavier rope
Stiffer or heavier?
The square of the speed of the wave in a stretched string is proportional to the tension (analogous to stiffness in extensive media) but inversely proportional to the density. So the wave could be faster because the rope is stiffer or slower because it is denser.

Likes nasu and AsemEzzat
haruspex said:
Stiffer or heavier?
The square of the speed of the wave in a stretched string is proportional to the tension (analogous to stiffness in extensive media) but inversely proportional to the density. So the wave could be faster because the rope is stiffer or slower because it is denser.
Are you saying that waves travel slower in denser mediums?

DaveC426913 said:
So, bringing this back to your OP, can you determine which source is right and which is wrong?
Google, ChatGPT, and Alef are wrong. The physics book is right I just didn't understand it correctly. By saying "If the waves in smaller spring have a greater speed because the spring is stiffer, then the reflected wave will be inverted" it means by smaller denser and it is correct because denser mediums have greater speeds. This is also reinforced by the video you sent as I saw that when the wave travels from the lighter (the bigger spring) to the denser (the smaller spring), the reflected wave is inverted. But, does it really mean by smaller denser? Because if so, that would contradict with the rope being stiff. The other person said that velocity is proportional to tension and inversely proportional to density. Wouldn't be wrong to say "The denser rope has a greater speed because it is stiffer."

AsemEzzat said:
Are you saying that waves travel slower in denser mediums?
For a given stiffness, yes. Water is denser than air but far stiffer, so the sound is faster.

• Informative
Likes AsemEzzat
So travelling from heavier (denser) to lighter (less dense), increases speed and vice versa? And from a less stiff rope to a stiffer rope, speed increases and reflected wave is inverted. Does this mean that DaveC426913 is wrong or is density inversely proportional to velocity only in a stretched string?

AsemEzzat said:
Does this mean that DaveC426913 is wrong or is density inversely proportional to velocity only in a stretched string?
At no time did I invoke the words density or stiffness. 🤔

Likes AsemEzzat
I'll write everything I understood:
Freighter's steel hull is stiffer (more tension) than water, thus wave travel faster in it
When a wave is transmitted from a less stiff medium to a stiffer medium, transmitted wave's speed increases and the reflected wave is inverted.
When a wave is transmitted from a denser medium to a less dense medium, the same thing happens (Transmitted wave's speed increases and the reflected wave is inverted)

Now if the above is true, the only thing left I want to know is
By heavier/lighter, does it mean density? Just to confirm

AsemEzzat said:
I'll write everything I understood:
Freighter's steel hull is stiffer (more tension) than water, thus wave travel faster in it
When a wave is transmitted from a less stiff medium to a stiffer medium, transmitted wave's speed increases and the reflected wave is inverted.
When a wave is transmitted from a denser medium to a less dense medium, the same thing happens (Transmitted wave's speed increases and the reflected wave is inverted)

Now if the above is true, the only thing left I want to know is
By heavier/lighter, does it mean density? Just to confirm
You are still not getting that these two considerations must be taken together.

When a wave is transmitted from a less stiff medium to a stiffer medium of the same or lower density, transmitted wave's speed increases.

When a wave is transmitted from a denser medium to a less dense medium of the same or higher stiffness, the same thing happens (Transmitted wave's speed increases

If the wave is transmitted from a denser medium to a less dense medium of lower stiffness, or from less dense to denser of higher stiffness, it could speed up or slow down.

I am unsure wrt inversion. I would think that only depends on stiffness.

• Informative
Likes nasu and PeroK

1. What causes waves on a rope to be reflected at a boundary?

Waves on a rope can be reflected at a boundary due to the change in medium or the change in direction of the wave. When a wave encounters a boundary, it can either be reflected back into the same medium or transmitted into a different medium, causing a change in direction.

2. How does the amplitude of a reflected wave compare to the original wave?

The amplitude of a reflected wave is equal to the amplitude of the original wave. This means that the height of the wave remains unchanged after reflection.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the wave approaches the boundary, is equal to the angle of reflection, which is the angle at which the wave is reflected. This is known as the law of reflection.

4. Can waves on a rope be partially reflected and partially transmitted at a boundary?

Yes, waves on a rope can be partially reflected and partially transmitted at a boundary. This is known as partial reflection and occurs when the boundary is not completely smooth or when the two mediums have different densities.

5. How does the wavelength of a reflected wave compare to the original wave?

The wavelength of a reflected wave is equal to the wavelength of the original wave. This means that the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave remains unchanged after reflection.