Understanding Vector in EM Wave

In summary, the fields of an EM wave have a vector because they are both sinusoidal functions of distance from the origin and time. When the wave passes a charge, it will be accelerated in a particular direction depending on the phase of the wave at the time of interaction. This is reflected in Maxwell's equations, where the curl and partial derivative of the fields are related.
Drakkith
Mentor
Hey all. I don't really understand how the fields of an EM wave have a vector. I think I understand the vector of a static EM field, but I'm having trouble understanding it when it comes to an EM wave.
Could someone help me out a bit? Thanks. (I'm sure it's something simple that I just don't get at the moment. Self teaching is frustrating!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out the animation here:
http://mutuslab.cs.uwindsor.ca/schurko/animations/emwave/emwave.htm

As you are watching the animation notice:
If you freeze time (set T = 100 in animation) than both E and H field vectors are sinusoidal functions of distance from the origin.

If you run time (say T=3) but freeze your position both E and H field vectors are sinusoidal functions of time.

Is it simply that when the wave passes a charge, that charge will be accelerated in a particular direction depending on the phase of the wave at the time of the interaction? And the opposite direction when the phase is 180 degrees later?

Yes, that's it.

You can also notice looking at the animation that when both E and B vectors have zero magnitude (where they cross x-axis), they both have maximum partial derivative with respect to time, and maximum curl. When they have maximum magnitude (at their peaks) they both have zero partial with respect to time and zero curl. These reflect Maxwell's eqns.

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\partial_t \vec{B}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=\mu\epsilon\partial_t \vec{E}[/tex]

Hi there, I can definitely help clarify the concept of vector in an EM wave for you. First, let's define what we mean by vector in this context. A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the case of an EM wave, the vector refers to the direction of the electric and magnetic fields that make up the wave.

In an EM wave, the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation of the wave. This means that they form a three-dimensional vector, with one component in the direction of the electric field, one in the direction of the magnetic field, and one in the direction of propagation.

The magnitude of these fields determines the strength of the wave, while the direction of the vector determines the polarization of the wave. This polarization can be linear, circular, or elliptical, depending on the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields.

It's important to remember that the vector of an EM wave is constantly changing as the wave propagates. This is because the electric and magnetic fields are oscillating, meaning they are constantly changing in magnitude and direction. This oscillation is what allows the wave to carry energy and information through space.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion you may have had about the vector in an EM wave. Keep up the self-teaching, it can be frustrating at times but it's also very rewarding!

Related to Understanding Vector in EM Wave

1. What is a vector in an electromagnetic (EM) wave?

A vector in an EM wave is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In EM waves, vectors are used to represent the electric and magnetic fields, which are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of wave propagation.

2. How do vectors contribute to understanding EM waves?

Vectors are essential in understanding EM waves because they help visualize the direction and strength of the electric and magnetic fields, which are responsible for the propagation of EM waves. By understanding the properties of these vectors, we can better understand how EM waves behave and interact with their surroundings.

3. What is the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in an EM wave?

The electric and magnetic fields in an EM wave are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of wave propagation. They are also in phase, meaning that when the electric field is at its maximum, the magnetic field is also at its maximum, and vice versa.

4. How are vectors represented in EM wave equations?

In EM wave equations, vectors are represented using mathematical notation, such as the vector symbol (⃗) and the cross product (x). The equations also take into account the magnitude and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as their relationship to each other.

5. How do vectors help us understand the polarization of EM waves?

Vectors play a crucial role in understanding the polarization of EM waves. The orientation of the electric field vector determines the polarization of the wave, whether it is linear, circular, or elliptical. By analyzing the direction and strength of the electric field vector, we can determine the polarization of an EM wave and how it will interact with different materials.