Confusion about the Energy Density of EM waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the energy density in an electromagnetic wave and the different values used for the electric and magnetic fields in its calculation. The main point of confusion is whether to use the peak or average value of the fields, and how this affects the total energy density. It is important to note the distinction between instantaneous and average energy density, which may be represented differently in different sources. Ultimately, the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in an EM wave is key in understanding the energy density.
PumpkinCougar95
Gold Member
I am a bit confused about the energy density in an EM wave. why do we take the Peak value of E vector while calculating the energy density?

Like if the E field is ##E_0 Sin(kx-wt)## what is the energy density of the EM wave(Magnetic + Electric)?

is it A) ##\frac {e_0E_0^2}{2} ## or B) ## e_0E_0^2 ## ?

in the A) part I have used the Average value of E field as ## <E^2> ~ = \frac {E_0^2 }{2}##

Physics news on Phys.org
PumpkinCougar95 said:
I am a bit confused about the energy density in an EM wave.
PumpkinCougar95 said:
I have used the Average value of E field as ## <E^2> ~ = \frac {E_0^2 }{2}##
Is the electric field the only field in an electromagnetic wave?

No, There is the B field too.

so the total Energy density is:
$$u = \frac {\epsilon_0E^2}{2} + \frac {B^2}{2 \mu_0}$$
My question is do we take ##E=E_0## and ##B=B_0## while calculating? Or do we Use ##E= \frac {E_0}{ sqrt{2} }## and ##B=\frac {B_0}{sqrt{2}}## ? Because in multiple books i have seen ##E=E_0## and ##B=B_0## which doesn't make any sense to me.

Are you looking for the "instantaneous" energy density at a point in space and time in the wave, or the average energy density over a volume of space or period of time? Your equation for ##u## is the "instantaneous" energy density at any point in the wave, using the values of ##E## and ##B## at that point. Setting ##E = E_0## and ##B = B_0## gives you the maximum energy density, ##u_0##, at the maxima of the waves. Setting ##E = E_0 / \sqrt 2## and ##B = B_0 / \sqrt 2## gives you the average energy density, ##\langle u \rangle##, for a sinusoidal wave.

More carefully, $$\langle u \rangle = \frac 1 2 \varepsilon_0 \langle E^2 \rangle + \frac 1 {2 \mu_0} \langle B^2 \rangle = \frac 1 4 \varepsilon_0 E_0^2 + \frac 1 {4 \mu_0} B_0^2$$

Most books take one more step, using the relationship between ##E## and ##B## in an electromagnetic wave. I'll let you fill in that step!

Different books, or even different points in the same book, may be talking about different kinds of energy density (instantaneous versus average), and sometimes you have to read carefully to see which is which. The mathematical notation may not always be consistent, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Oh Ok. Thanks for your help!

What is energy density?

Energy density is a measure of the amount of energy that is present in a given space or volume. It is typically measured in joules per cubic meter (J/m3) for electromagnetic waves.

What are EM waves?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of energy that is created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. They are present all around us and include forms of energy such as radio waves, visible light, and X-rays.

Why is there confusion about the energy density of EM waves?

One reason for confusion about the energy density of EM waves is that it can vary depending on the type of wave and its frequency. Additionally, the concept of energy density may be difficult for some people to understand, leading to confusion.

How is energy density related to the intensity of EM waves?

Energy density and intensity are directly related. Intensity is a measure of the power of the wave per unit area, while energy density is a measure of the energy per unit volume. As intensity increases, so does energy density.

Why is understanding energy density of EM waves important?

Understanding the energy density of EM waves is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and telecommunications. It allows us to better understand the behavior and effects of EM waves and to design technologies that use them effectively and safely.