Understanding Vector Calculus & Trigonometry for Physics

In summary, the individual is struggling with understanding vector calculus and trigonometry in relation to physics. They are looking for book recommendations that explain these concepts clearly and intuitively, and mention having tried Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach by Morris. They also mention a thread on the Physics Forums website where they have asked for help with specific math problems.
christian0710
Hi.

Every time i read physics I feel so discouraged by my lack of understanding in terms of vector calculus and trigonometry. I do understand basic trigonometry and basic vectors but when professors or textbooks move onto combining derivatives with vectors i lack understanding of which rules apply to vectors when combined with calculus, and also how to interprete it. I really need some good book recomendations for brushing up on this and understanding it clearly and intuitively.

And example would be the motion of a particle where r(t) is a vector and i,j are unit vectors.
r(t) = r(i*coswt + j*sinwt)

The professor says "we can see from this that the length of the vector is one" But for me this does not make sense, how can we see this, and how do we apply the length formyla |r|=sqrt(a^2 + b^2) on the r(t) equation?

Please help me with some good physics/calculus math books, that are easy and clear to understand and explain the subjects in detail.

I did try Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach by Morris, but i don't find that it explains trigonometry very well and had to quit after the first 100 pages.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to get I. M. Gelfand and Mark Saul "Trigonometry".

Related to Understanding Vector Calculus & Trigonometry for Physics

1. What is vector calculus and how is it used in physics?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In physics, vector calculus is used to analyze and describe physical phenomena such as forces, motion, and electromagnetic fields.

2. What are the basic operations in vector calculus?

The basic operations in vector calculus include vector addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to manipulate and solve equations involving vectors.

3. How does trigonometry relate to vector calculus?

Trigonometry is the study of relationships between angles and sides in triangles. In vector calculus, trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent are used to describe the direction and magnitude of vectors in three-dimensional space.

4. What are some common applications of vector calculus in physics?

Some common applications of vector calculus in physics include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the force acting on an object, and analyzing the flow of fluids such as air or water.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector calculus and trigonometry for physics?

To improve your understanding of vector calculus and trigonometry for physics, it is important to practice solving problems and understanding the concepts behind them. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or studying with a group can also be beneficial in deepening your understanding of these topics.