Understanding Uniform Circular Motion Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a point P moving on a circle with constant angular velocity. The initial coordinates and the velocity and acceleration of the projection of P onto the x-axis and y-axis need to be found. The conversation discusses parametrizing the circular trajectory and determining the function f(t) using the given information.
jenjen07
Hi, I'm having trouble on a set of problems and I was wondering if someone could walk me through how to do one of these so I can at least attempt the rest. The problem says:

"A point P moves uniformly along the circle x[squared] + y[squared]= r[squared] with constant agular velocity w. Find the x and y coordinates of P at time t given that the motion starts at time t=0 and [theta] = [theta]initial. Then find the velocity and acceleration of the projection of P onto the x-axis and onto the y axis."

I found the derivitive of the equation that was given but I have no idea where to go from there. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
How do you parametrize a circular trajectory?

what do you mean exactly? there's another little note on the problem that says the projection of p onto the x azis is the point (x,0) and the project of p onto the y-axis is the point (0,y)

Do you agree that since the particle moves in a circular orbit, we may write:
[tex]x(t)=r\cos(f(t)),y(t)=r\sin(f(t))[/tex]
where f(t) is as yet undetermined.
With this choice, we are guaranteed that the particle moves on a circle, since:
[tex]x^{2}(t)+y^{2}(t)=r^{2}[/tex]

If you agree so far, let's determine f(t)!
We know that the speed must be rw, since w is the constant angular velocity.
Differentiating to gain the velocity, we end up with the speed equation:
[tex]r|f'(t)|=rw[/tex]
agreed? (|| signifies the absolute value)
This means f(t)=wt+K, where K is some constant.
If you have some particular questions to this, post them

Related to Understanding Uniform Circular Motion Calculations

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object covers the same distance in the same amount of time, regardless of where it is on the circular path.

2. What causes uniform circular motion?

The force that causes an object to move in uniform circular motion is called centripetal force. This force acts towards the center of the circle and keeps the object moving along the circular path.

3. How is uniform circular motion different from other types of motion?

Uniform circular motion is different because the speed of the object remains constant, while the direction of motion is constantly changing. In other types of motion, such as linear or projectile motion, the speed and direction can change.

4. What are some examples of uniform circular motion?

Some common examples of uniform circular motion include a car driving around a roundabout, a planet orbiting around the sun, and a spinning top. Any object that moves along a circular path at a constant speed is exhibiting uniform circular motion.

5. How is uniform circular motion related to centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences as it moves in a circular path. This acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle and is caused by the centripetal force. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal acceleration is constant, but its direction is constantly changing as the object moves along the circular path.