Understanding the Solution for Finding the Sum of Digits of m

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of numbers from the set {1,2,3,...,2014} that can be expressed as a difference of squares of two non-negative integers. The sum of the digits of this number is 5, with 1007 odd numbers and 6 even numbers (2^3, 4^3, 6^3, 8^3, 10^3, 12^3) in the set. This can be shown through the use of specific identities and the concept of quadratic residues modulo 8. The exclusion of other even numbers from the set can be explained through simple expansion.
Murtuza Tipu

Homework Statement

Let m be the number of numbers fromantic the set {1,2,3,...,2014} which can be expressed as difference of squares of two non negative integers. The sum of the digits of m is ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a solution from a magazine but I didn't under stand how it came
Can anyone explain me how it came.
Answer is as follows:
2n+1=(n+1)^2 -n^2
n^3=[n (n+1)/2]^2 - [n (n-1)/2]^2
Therefore m contains all odd numbers and the even numbers 2^3,4^3,8^3,10^3,12^3.
Therefore m=1007+7=1013 with digit sum 5.

Physics news on Phys.org
Containing all odd numbers is a consequence of the first statement, 2n+1=(n+1)^2 -n^2. This clearly shows that all odd numbers can be created as a difference of squares.
For even numbers, a different identity is used, n^3=[n (n+1)/2]^2 - [n (n-1)/2]^2. This is not necessarily even, but is definitely a difference of square integers.
So it can be concluded that any cubed integer is also in the set.
Looking at the bounds [1,2014], the largest even cube is 12^3 = 1728.
Odd numbers are 2n+1 for n = 0 to 1006, or 1007 in the set.
Even numbers are the cubes of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12, or 6 in the set.
This gives 1007+6 = 1013.

The truth of the identities used can be shown through simple expansion.

My question is how can one be sure that other even numbers should be excluded from the set?

Oops... think about RUber's question first :-)
##(n+1)^2-n^2=2n+1##
##(n+2)^2-n^2=4n+4=4(n+1)##
Therefore any odd number and any multiple of 4 can be expressed as the difference of two squares.

So m is wrong, and so is the digit sum.

Hint: What are the quadratic residues modulo 8?

Related to Understanding the Solution for Finding the Sum of Digits of m

1. What is the best way to explain a complex concept to someone?

The best way to explain a complex concept to someone is to break it down into smaller, more easily understandable parts. Use analogies, visuals, and examples to help clarify the concept. It is also important to ask the person if they have any specific questions or areas they need more clarification on.

2. How can I improve my ability to explain scientific concepts?

To improve your ability to explain scientific concepts, practice regularly and break down complex ideas into simpler terms. It can also be helpful to engage in discussions and debates with other scientists to refine your explanations and gain new perspectives.

3. Is it important to use technical language when explaining scientific concepts?

It depends on the audience you are trying to explain the concept to. If you are speaking to other scientists, using technical language may be appropriate. However, if you are trying to explain the concept to a non-scientist, it is important to use simple, everyday language to help them understand.

4. How can I make my scientific explanations more engaging?

To make your scientific explanations more engaging, try to use real-world examples and relate the concept to something the person is familiar with. Additionally, using visuals, hands-on demonstrations, and storytelling can help make the explanation more interesting and easier to understand.

5. What should I do if someone still doesn't understand my explanation?

If someone still doesn't understand your explanation, try approaching the concept from a different angle or using different examples. It may also be helpful to ask the person if they have any specific questions or areas they need more clarification on. If needed, you can also provide additional resources or suggest seeking help from another scientist or expert in the field.