Understanding the Selective Protection of High Frequencies by Ear Protectors

• Thread starter Mcdiddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, certain materials are better at stopping high frequencies compared to low frequencies due to their natural frequency and the ability to absorb vibrations. This is why ear protectors may be more effective against high tones than low tones. Additionally, certain materials that are effective against low frequencies may be heavy and expensive, making them impractical for use in ear protectors. There is a physiological factor at play as well, as low frequencies can still be transmitted through bone conduction. This is why ear protectors may not completely block out low frequencies. There is no specific formula for this phenomenon, but it is widely accepted in the scientific community.
Mcdiddy
hallo all,

I was reading some information on my new set of earprotectors and I noticed it said that it is very good against high tones, high frequencies, but not for low ones.

Why is this? How come you can stop high frequencies more accurate or faster then the low ones with the same material?

is this simply because low frequencies with long wavelenghts can pass true material easier? or?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mcdiddy said:
hallo all,

I was reading some information on my new set of earprotectors and I noticed it said that it is very good against high tones, high frequencies, but not for low ones.

Why is this? How come you can stop high frequencies more accurate or faster then the low ones with the same material?

is this simply because low frequencies with long wavelenghts can pass true material easier? or?
Yes. That is also why when you neighbor is playing very loud rock and roll music late at nght (?*#*?!# him!) you hear, mainly, "boom, boom, boom"!

Ah I see, but is there a certain reason or explenation for it?

Who do low frequencies pass much easier true material then?

It's a matter of the natural frequency of the objects. Say you have a regular drywall wall. A high frequency sound oscillates too fast to make the wall oscillate, so it gets absorbed. A low frequency sound will make the wall move back and forth, transmitting the sound.

russ_watters said:
It's a matter of the natural frequency of the objects. Say you have a regular drywall wall. A high frequency sound oscillates too fast to make the wall oscillate, so it gets absorbed. A low frequency sound will make the wall move back and forth, transmitting the sound.

Eum, I see

but why can't they make earprotectors then that stop (absorp) the low frequencies?
Is this because there are no materials that can be used for this because they are too heavy or to expensive or?

And is it correct to state that when a material can absorp (stop) the low frequencies it automaticly will also stop high frequencies or not?

Mcdiddy said:
but why can't they make earprotectors then that stop (absorp) the low frequencies?
Is this because there are no materials that can be used for this because they are too heavy or to expensive or?
Heavy, yes. In construction, when one wants to stop low frequencies, they use concrete.
And is it correct to state that when a material can absorp (stop) the low frequencies it automaticly will also stop high frequencies or not?
In general, I think so, because things that stop low frequencies have to be pretty thick and heavy and as a result you get both.

ok I see.

thanks a lot.

However still one question: is there some sort of formula for this or is it just a thing that scientist accept as general knowledge?

I mean: is there a general formula which shows that low frequencies are harder to stop then higher one with a certain material X , or its something that is known, but not yet really proven mathematicly?

There's a physiological factor at work as well. Unless the hearing protectors encased your entire head like a space helmet, your skull and jaw bones would still resonate to the sound and channel it to your auditory circuits. That's how bone-conduction 'earphones' work. High frequencies don't have that effect (or, at least, not nearly as pronounced).

Related to Understanding the Selective Protection of High Frequencies by Ear Protectors

1. How do ear protections work?

Ear protections work by blocking or reducing the amount of sound that reaches the ear. This can be achieved through various mechanisms such as earplugs, earmuffs, or noise-cancelling headphones.

2. What types of sounds can ear protections block?

Ear protections can block a wide range of sounds, from loud noises like construction or gunshots to lower-level noises like office chatter or snoring. The effectiveness of ear protections may vary depending on the type and level of sound.

3. Do all ear protections work the same way?

No, there are different types of ear protections that work in different ways. For example, earplugs physically block sound from entering the ear canal, while noise-cancelling headphones use technology to actively cancel out external noise.

4. Are there any risks associated with using ear protections?

While ear protections are generally safe to use, prolonged exposure to high levels of noise and incorrect use of earplugs may cause temporary or permanent damage to the ear. It is important to use ear protections correctly and take breaks from loud environments.

5. Can ear protections be used by everyone?

Yes, ear protections can be used by anyone who wants to protect their ears from loud noises. They are particularly beneficial for people who work in noisy environments, attend concerts or events, or have sensitive hearing. However, it is important to choose the right type of ear protection for your needs and to consult a doctor if you have any pre-existing ear conditions.