Understanding the Rotation Group in Quantum Mechanics: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations and resources for understanding the rotation group in quantum mechanics, specifically at the level of Sakurai. Weyl's & Wigner's books are mentioned as the first to deal with group theory in QM, but it is suggested that there is no better treatment than Sakurai's. Other recommendations include R. Newton, A. Messiah, Davydov, and Edmonds' "Angular Momentum in Quantum Mechanics." A link to a summary of group theory is also provided. Additional suggestions are Tinkham's book and Wu-Ki Tung's.
Allday
I'm trying to get a handle on the rotation group in quantum mechanics. Does anyone have suggestions or links to clear and consise statements of this material. I am looking for a level of about Sakurai.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Weyl's & Wigner's books were the first to deal with group theory in QM.

There's no better treatment than the one in Sakurai.Close come R.Newton,A.Messiah & Davydov.

My advice is go for the best.

Daniel.

I would highly reccomend, also, Edmonds, Angular Momentum in Quantum Mechanics, the bible for many of us older types.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

I agree with Reilly and dextercioby,

Besides if you are interested in a little summary, just check out the 'how grouptheory works'-entry in my journal : https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&journalid=13790&action=view

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition, try Tinkhams book on Group Theory along with Wu-Ki Tungs, both are excellent.

Related to Understanding the Rotation Group in Quantum Mechanics: A Comprehensive Guide

What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and interactions of groups, which are sets of elements that follow certain rules or operations.

How is group theory related to quantum mechanics?

Group theory is used in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetries and transformations of systems, such as atoms and molecules, in order to make predictions about their behavior and properties.

What are some common examples of groups in quantum mechanics?

Some examples of groups in quantum mechanics include the rotation group, which describes the rotational symmetries of a system, and the permutation group, which describes the rearrangements of identical particles.

Why is group theory important in quantum mechanics?

Group theory is important in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the underlying symmetries and patterns in physical systems, allowing us to make predictions and solve complex problems more efficiently.

What are some applications of group theory in quantum mechanics?

Group theory is used in various areas of quantum mechanics, such as in the study of molecular structure, atomic nuclei, and particle interactions. It also has applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and condensed matter physics.