Understanding the Role of Partial Derivatives in Calculus of Variations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of partial derivatives in the Euler-Lagrange equation and how they are related to the extremal function in the action functional. The conversation also clarifies the use of notation and how it is applied in solving the equation.
samgrace
Hello, here is my problem.[/PLAIN]

http://imgur.com/VAu2sXl

My confusion lies in, why those particular partial derivatives are chosen to be acted upon the auxiliary function and then how they are put together to get the Euler-Lagrange equation?

My guess is that it's related to the turning points of the auxiliary equation, however i don't know why those derivatives are chosen and how they're related to the EL equation.

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must interpret ## \int_{a}^{b} 12x\cdot y(x)+\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x} y(x)\right)^{2}dx## as your action functional ##S(t)## where the time is represented by ##t=x, q(t)=y(x), \frac{\partial}{\partial x} y(x)=\dot{q}(t)## and ##f(x,y,y')## is the lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}(t,q,\dot{q})##. In the example derivatives are alculated in order to write the Euler Lagrange equation:

## \frac{\partial}{\partial q}\mathcal{L}-\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q}}\mathcal{L}=\frac{\partial}{\partial y}f-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}f=0##

They used with abuse of notation ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{d}{dx}## so you solve the Euler Lagrange equation and obtain the extremal function ##y(x)##...

remember ##z=y'##, I hope in a clarification ...

Oh! Thanks, that's clarified the technique, I can do the rest of worksheet now.

Related to Understanding the Role of Partial Derivatives in Calculus of Variations

What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution to a problem, often involving the maximization or minimization of a certain quantity. It involves finding the path or function that minimizes a certain functional, which is a mathematical expression involving functions.

What is the basic principle behind the calculus of variations?

The basic principle behind the calculus of variations is to find the function or path that minimizes a certain functional, which is a mathematical expression involving functions. This is done by setting up an Euler-Lagrange equation, which is a differential equation that describes the behavior of the optimal solution.

What are some applications of the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations has various applications in different fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to solve problems involving optimization, such as finding the shortest path between two points, minimizing energy or cost, and maximizing profit or efficiency.

What is the difference between the calculus of variations and traditional calculus?

The main difference between the calculus of variations and traditional calculus is that traditional calculus deals with finding the optimal values of functions, while the calculus of variations deals with finding the optimal functions themselves. In traditional calculus, the function is fixed and the goal is to find its maximum or minimum value. In the calculus of variations, the function is variable and the goal is to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity.

What are some key concepts in the calculus of variations?

Some key concepts in the calculus of variations include functionals, which are mathematical expressions involving functions, Euler-Lagrange equations, which describe the behavior of the optimal solution, and boundary value problems, which involve finding the optimal solution that satisfies certain boundary conditions. Other important concepts include variations, which are small changes in a function, and the stationary point, which is the point where the functional has a minimum or maximum value.