Understanding the Rise of Current in DC RL Circuits

In summary, the physical reason behind the current rising from zero to its maximum value in a DC RL circuit is due to the self-induction of the coil. As the current flows through the conductor, it creates a magnetic field which is then coupled back into the conductor, causing a back EMF that opposes the change in current. This back EMF is described by Faraday's law and Lenz's law. The voltage across the inductor decreases over time, allowing the current to flow and reach its maximum value. This behavior can also be explained mathematically by solving the set of Maxwell equations and using the quasistationary approximation.
Giuseppe Sorrentino
Hi, I can't figure out what is the physical reason behind the fact that, in DC RL circuit, for example, the series one, the current rises from zero (supposing state zero response), to its maximum value given by ohm's law. I've understood it mathematically but I can't physically explain why, after the current being zero at the very zero instant of time, it starts increasing over time. For current to flow voltage across L must be less than the EMF of the DC power supply but this implies that over time voltage across L, which is back EMF with a minus sign, decreases over time. Again I can't find a physical reason to this fact that voltage across L decreases over time. Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to make me understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Qualitatively what happens when you switch on the current is that a magnetic field builds up in the coil, but a time-dependent magnetic field implies an EMF, given by the curl of the electric field, and according to Lenz's Law this EMF tries to hinder the current to build up (it also follows of course from Maxwell's equations, particularly Faraday's Law of induction ##\dot{\vec{B}}/c+\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=0##.

Now you can simplify the task solving the entire set of Maxwell equations in this case by making the quasistationary approximation and lump everything in effective constants of compact circuit elements like resistors, coils, and capacitors. For a coil in this case the self-induction ##L## is the effective quantity describing the above described induction of an EMF due to a time-varying current. For the series of a resistance and a coil you get the differential equation
$$L \dot{I}+R I = U,$$
where ##U=\text{const}## is the DC voltage applied to the series circuit. It's easy to see that a particular solution (the stationary final state) is
$$I_{\text{stat}}=\frac{U}{R}.$$
The general solution of the homogeneous equation is easily found by
$$L \dot{I}_h + RI_h =0 \; \Rightarrow \; \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \ln \left (\frac{I_h}{I_0} \right )=-\frac{R}{L} \; \Rightarrow \; I_h(t)=I_0 \exp \left (-\frac{R}{L} t \right ).$$
So the general solution is
$$I(t)=\frac{U}{R} + I_0 \exp \left (-\frac{R}{L} t \right),$$
and from the initial condition ##I(0)=0## you get ##I_0=-U/R##, so that you finally get
$$I(t) = \frac{U}{R} \left [1-\exp \left (-\frac{R}{L} t \right) \right ].$$

Likes Giuseppe Sorrentino and berkeman
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately that doesn't answer my question. If I consider the ideal inductor, the self concatenated flux of the magnetic field is givel by: φ=L⋅i , where L is self inductance and its only a geometrical coefficient while i is the current flowing through the inductor. As we turn on the circuit, the inductor feels the instantaneous change in current and react by procucing and induced back EMF according to Faraday and Lenz's law: EMF=-dφ/dt=-L⋅di/dt. Choosing the load references whe change sign to the induced EMF so that now become the potential difference across L. So at zero time voltage across L is the same as the EMF of the DC power supply so by Ohm's law current is zero.
Now begins the part that I am unable to understand. Via math we derive that i has and positive exponential growth behavior. But what I want to know is from a physical point of view, what causes current to increase? I started wondering this question and I came up with this tought: by Ohm's law, in order to current not be zero the voltage across the inductor must decrease. So what causes this? Again we can derive via math that the voltage across L behaves like a negative exponenxial growth. I want the physical reason not the math explanation. I've already understood it via math but not much physical.

Giuseppe Sorrentino:
First you must realize that the current through an inductor is intimately linked to the magnetic field of that inductor. When a current flows through a conductor it causes a magnetic field at 90° to the current. That magnetic field is coupled back into the conductor, again with a 90° left turn. But then it has turned left twice, so the induced voltage will be facing backwards. That is why a change in the inductor current generates a back emf that opposes the change of current. That is also why the magnetic field cannot come into existence instantly.

Multiplication of a vector by the operator i = √-1, is equivalent to rotating the vector left by 90°. Multiplication twice by the operator i, is equivalent to multiplying once by i2. We know that i2 = -1, so a vector multiplied by i2 is reversed, or rotated by 180°. That reversal comes up often when magnetic fields induce currents in conductors. It explains why good conductors make good mirrors and why high frequency AC current only flows in the surface of wires.

Likes Giuseppe Sorrentino and vanhees71
I think I got it. Since at the beginning the inductor fights the change in current, back EMF is induced in the inductance. But this means that current starts to increase according to Faraday's law: EMF=-L⋅di/dt. So current starts to increase until the stationary state is reached where current no longer changes so EMF is zero.

I would thank you all for trying help me out.

Related to Understanding the Rise of Current in DC RL Circuits

1. What is a DC RL circuit?

A DC RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor and an inductor that are connected in series. It is used to control the flow of direct current (DC) electricity.

2. How does a DC RL circuit work?

In a DC RL circuit, the resistor limits the flow of electricity, while the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. This magnetic field resists changes in current, resulting in a steady flow of electricity.

3. What is the purpose of an inductor in a DC RL circuit?

The inductor in a DC RL circuit is used to store energy and create a magnetic field. This helps to regulate the flow of current and can also be used to smooth out any fluctuations in the circuit.

4. How does the presence of an inductor affect the behavior of a DC RL circuit?

The presence of an inductor in a DC RL circuit causes a delay in the flow of current, as the inductor resists changes in current. This can create a lag in voltage and can also help to filter out any high-frequency signals.

5. What are some real-world applications of DC RL circuits?

DC RL circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as televisions, radios, and computers. They are also used in power supplies and motor control circuits, as well as in electronic switches and dimmers.