Understanding the Relationship between Work and Power in Accelerating Objects

In summary, power can be calculated between two points very close to each other, so you get an instantaneous value.
TheLaw
This isn't homework. I've been thinking.

If I have say a 1kg mass and I want to accelerate it at 1m/s^2 for 10m, I would calculate the work to be done as 10J.

Force = 1kg x 1m/s^2 = 1N
Work = 1N x 10m = 10J

I hope that is correct so far.

But what confuses me is power. Power is work/time, but how could I possibly alter the amount of time it takes for me to accelerate a mass for a certain distance? Wouldn't time be constant?

Is it possible for me to accelerate the mass at 1m/s^2 and then to reach 10m with different amount of times?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, because you're holding the acceleration constant. What you need to do is hold the work done constant, but vary the time taken. For example, you could similarly do 10J of work by pushing it with a force of 0.5N for 20m, which will give you the same final KE, the same work done, but a different time (and thus a different average power).

In your setup, where you have the acceleration specified, you can't change the time.

But that is not the main point. The main point is that power, like velocity, can be calculated between two points very close to each other, so you get an instantaneous value.

In your example, the acceleration (and force) is constant, so the instantaneous power is also constant and is equal to the average power.

However, one could equally move the mass with 10 m/s^2 for the first one meter, and then let the mass slide by inertia for the rest of the distance. Average power would then be different, and, more importantly, the instantaneous power during the first meter would be (much) greater than the average power, while the instantaneous power in the second segment would be zero.

voko said:
In your example, the acceleration (and force) is constant, so the instantaneous power is also constant and is equal to the average power.

The force is constant, but velocity is not. Power = force multiplied by velocity.

jbriggs444 said:
The force is constant, but velocity is not. Power = force multiplied by velocity.

Indeed. Thanks for correcting that.

Well thank you very much. That helped a lot.

Related to Understanding the Relationship between Work and Power in Accelerating Objects

1. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied over a distance. It is measured in joules (J). On the other hand, power is the rate at which work is done or the rate at which energy is transferred. It is measured in watts (W).

2. How are work and power related?

Work and power are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the amount of work done increases, the power required to do that work also increases. Mathematically, power is equal to work divided by time.

3. Can you give an example to illustrate the difference between work and power?

Imagine two people lifting a 50 kg weight to a height of 2 meters. Both of them do the same amount of work (100 J), but the person who does it in less time has a higher power output. This is because they are able to do the same amount of work in a shorter amount of time.

4. How does the concept of work and power apply to machines?

In machines, work and power are used to measure their efficiency and performance. An ideal machine would have a power output greater than its power input, meaning it can do more work than the energy put into it. However, due to factors such as friction and other losses, no machine can achieve 100% efficiency.

5. How can understanding work and power be beneficial in everyday life?

Understanding work and power can help us make informed decisions about how to use our energy and resources efficiently. For example, knowing the power output of different household appliances can help us save energy and reduce our electricity bills. It can also help us understand the impact of our daily activities on the environment.