How Does Applying 1 Newton of Force Affect an Object's Motion?

• Thread starter Ellipses
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary: Thank you!In summary, a Newton (N) is the amount of force required to accelerate a one-kg object at 1 m/s^2. If I apply 1N of force to a 1kg object, it will constantly accelerate.
Ellipses
I understand that a Newton (N) is the "amount of force required to accelerate a one-kg object at 1 m/s^2", but what exactly does that mean?

If I apply 1N of force to a 1kg object, will it constantly accelerate if I continue to apply the 1N? E.g. If I apply 1N of force for 10 seconds, the object will be traveling at 10m/s.

Or, is it just that if I constantly apply 1N, the object will constantly travel at 1m/s?

Thank you for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, Force = Mass * Acceleration, Acceleration = Rate of Change of Velocity. So what you have is effectively Force = Mass * Rate of Change of Velocity. So if you're applying a constant force, you get a constant change in velocity, so you should expect the velocity to be increasing constantly. Thus, you would see your object traveling at 10m/s after 10 seconds.

If force is constant:
[tex]
\begin{align}
&F = ma \\
&F = m\frac{dv}{dt} \\
&\frac{F}{m} = a = \frac{dv}{dt} \\
&dv = a dt \\
&v(t) = \int a dt \\
&v(t) = at+v_0 \equiv \frac{F}{m}t+v_0
\end{align}
[/tex]
So, from Eq. (6), if force is constant, velocity will increase at a constant rate, as Pengwuino has already stated.

Thank you both kindly. It's cleared up in my head now. But, then, I have to ask: how do I keep an object going at a constant velocity? If I apply a force and then stop, the object will eventually stop due to friction. If I continue to apply the force, it will accelerate. So how do I keep velocity constant?

Friction is a force. To keep an object going at constant speed, you must have no force -- or balanced forces (no net force).

Ellipses said:
Thank you both kindly. It's cleared up in my head now. But, then, I have to ask: how do I keep an object going at a constant velocity? If I apply a force and then stop, the object will eventually stop due to friction. If I continue to apply the force, it will accelerate. So how do I keep velocity constant?

So to add to what Russ said, in order to say, keep an airplane at a constant velocity, the engines must provide an equal amount of force in opposition to the friction caused by air resistance.

Pengwuino said:
So to add to what Russ said, in order to say, keep an airplane at a constant velocity, the engines must provide an equal amount of force in opposition to the friction caused by air resistance.

And also generate enough lift to counter gravity.

mishrashubham said:
And also generate enough lift to counter gravity.

So an aircraft can't travel at constant velocity whilst on the ground?

The engines generate negligible lift in level flight.

jarednjames said:
So an aircraft can't travel at constant velocity whilst on the ground?

Well it can; then the majority of the friction would be from the ground. When Pengwuino mentioned air resistance I imagined the plane to be flying in air.

russ_watters said:
The engines generate negligible lift in level flight.

To maintain a level flight, lift has to cancel out gravity.

mishrashubham said:
To maintain a level flight, lift has to cancel out gravity.

Lift is from the wings, not the engines.

The engines simply need to provide velocity, that is what allows the wings to produce lift.

jarednjames said:
Lift is from the wings, not the engines.

The engines simply need to provide velocity, that is what allows the wings to produce lift.
True

Related to How Does Applying 1 Newton of Force Affect an Object's Motion?

1. What is a Newton (N)?

A Newton (N) is a unit of measurement for force in the International System of Units (SI). It is defined as the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

2. How is a Newton (N) different from a kilogram (kg)?

A kilogram is a unit of mass, while a Newton is a unit of force. In other words, a kilogram measures the amount of matter in an object, while a Newton measures the amount of force acting on that object.

3. What are some common examples of forces measured in Newtons (N)?

Some common examples of forces measured in Newtons include the force of gravity on an object (weight), the force required to lift an object, and the force of a person pushing or pulling an object.

4. How is a Newton (N) calculated?

A Newton (N) is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object (in kilograms) by its acceleration (in meters per second squared). This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

5. Is a Newton (N) a base unit of measurement?

No, a Newton is not a base unit in the SI system. It is derived from the base units of mass, length, and time. However, it is considered a fundamental unit and is widely used in many scientific fields.