Understanding the Relationship Between Mass and Space-Time

• Thread starter oseriph
  • Start date
In summary, a forum user received a warning for stating that space-time is an attribute of matter and wanted to start a thread about the analogy of mass to space-time and viscosity to surface tension. However, this is not a mainstream concept and alternative theories must be presented in the Independent Research forum with supporting evidence from peer-reviewed journals. It is suggested that the user should ask for clarification instead of making assertions. The idea may be supported by research on quantum foam, but further research is needed.
oseriph
My first time on the forum I got, in effect a warning. I said space-time was an attribute of matter. I'm sure I posted it incorrectly. I wanted to start a thread based on the assertion that mass is to space-time, as viscosity is to surface tension. I've read the rules, but I'm still unclear. any help would be appreciated.(this is my second visit)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try to send a private message to the mentor who gave you the warning? He/she would be happy to tell you what the issue is, I'm sure.

One wrote "Space being a measurement of matter against itself, and time being a measurement of matter against space," but this is not correct.

The assertion that "mass is to space-time, as viscosity is to surface tension" is not mainstream, and one has not provided a basis for this assertion.

The forums are for discussion mainstream physics. Alternative theories may be presented in the Independent Research forum, however they are subject to restrictions. One must present background material, demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental physics, and cite articles from mainstream, peer-reviewed journals in support of one's theory - and one's theory must fill some holes and/or complement mainstream physics.

oseriph said:
My first time on the forum I got, in effect a warning. I said space-time was an attribute of matter. I'm sure I posted it incorrectly. I wanted to start a thread based on the assertion that mass is to space-time, as viscosity is to surface tension. I've read the rules, but I'm still unclear. any help would be appreciated.(this is my second visit)

The problem is that you started by making an assertion. You would have been fine if you had asked if this is a proper analogy, instead of making an assertion.

I see. Thanks

your right. I get it. thanks for responding

I think some of the work on quantum foam may support the idea. guess I have some research to do

Related to Understanding the Relationship Between Mass and Space-Time

1. What is the relationship between mass and space-time?

The relationship between mass and space-time is defined by Einstein's theory of general relativity. This theory states that mass creates a curvature in space-time, and this curvature affects the motion of objects in the universe, including the path of light. This means that the more mass an object has, the stronger its gravitational pull, and the greater its effect on the fabric of space-time.

2. How does space-time curvature affect the behavior of objects?

The curvature of space-time caused by mass affects the behavior of objects in several ways. First, it causes objects to follow curved paths instead of straight lines. This is what we perceive as gravity. Second, it slows down the passage of time near massive objects, a phenomenon known as time dilation. Finally, it affects the speed at which light travels, causing it to bend or be deflected by massive objects.

3. Can mass exist without space-time?

No, mass cannot exist without space-time. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass and space-time are intricately linked and cannot exist independently. Massive objects create a curvature in space-time, and without this curvature, the concept of mass would have no meaning. In other words, mass is a property of space-time and cannot exist without it.

4. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence fit into the relationship between mass and space-time?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc², also plays a role in the relationship between mass and space-time. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, and massive objects have a large amount of energy stored within them. This energy contributes to the curvature of space-time, further strengthening the relationship between mass and space-time.

5. Can the relationship between mass and space-time be observed or measured?

The relationship between mass and space-time can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light by massive objects, such as stars, is a direct result of the curvature of space-time caused by their mass. Gravitational time dilation can also be measured by comparing the passage of time between two objects with different masses. These and other experiments provide evidence for the existence and importance of the relationship between mass and space-time.