Understanding the Relationship between Heat Capacity and Internal Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the heat capacity and internal energy, with a focus on expressing the heat capacity as a function of the internal energy. The participants also mention the partition function and its relation to the internal energy. They request help with differentiating the series involved in the problem.
mhellstrom
Hi all,

I have to show that the heat capacity can be expressed as

Cv = Nk(1+1/45(Om/T)^2 + ...)

where the internal energy is given as

E = NkT*(1-(Om/(3T)-1/45(Om/T)^2)

Normally I would just differentiate but if I do this I get something completely different - how to proceed any hints appreciated thanks in advance

Best regards

Magnus

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Magnus! :smile:
mhellstrom said:
I have to show that the heat capacity can be expressed as

Cv = Nk(1+1/45(Om/T)^2 + ...)

where the internal energy is given as

E = NkT*(1-(Om/(3T)-1/45(Om/T)^2)

Normally I would just differentiate*…

erm … NkT*(1 - Om/(3T) - 1/45(Om/T)^2) = Nk(T - Om/3 - 1/45(Om/T)) :redface:

yes of course... Thanks for the help. The partition function is also given in the exercise

[tex]
q_{rot} = \frac{T}{\omega}*(1+\frac{1}{3}(\frac{\omega}{T}+\frac{1}{15}(\frac{\omega}{T})^2+...)
[/tex]

I presume the internal energy is given as

E = -N(dLn Zrot / d beta)

I would really like to know how to get from the partition function to the internal energy.
The problem for me is how manage the differentiation of the serie. Any help or advise appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best

Magnus

durrr … honestly no idea what that's all about …

i thought this was a straightforward calculus problem! :redface:

i think you'd better start a new thread, so as to get someone else to answer :smile:

Related to Understanding the Relationship between Heat Capacity and Internal Energy

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How is heat capacity related to energy?

Heat capacity is directly proportional to energy, meaning that the more energy a substance has, the higher its heat capacity will be.

3. How is heat capacity measured?

Heat capacity is typically measured in joules per degree Celsius (J/°C) or calories per degree Celsius (cal/°C) using specialized equipment such as a calorimeter.

4. What factors affect the heat capacity of a substance?

The heat capacity of a substance is affected by its mass, composition, and physical state (solid, liquid, or gas). It also varies with temperature and can be affected by external factors such as pressure and the presence of impurities.

5. Why is heat capacity important in scientific research?

Heat capacity is important in scientific research because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature and how they store and release energy. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as thermodynamics, materials science, and environmental science.