Understanding the Quadratic Formula and Solving Complex Equations

In summary, the complex equation z2 +2i*z-(1+i) = 0 is solved using the quadratic formula and results in two solutions, -i ± √i and -i ± (1+i)/√2. Both solutions are acceptable, but the latter is often preferred for simplicity. To understand how √i can equal (1+i)/√2, it helps to express complex numbers in polar form, such as re^{i\theta}, where the magnitude and angle can be easily seen and used in computations. This is in contrast to other forms, such as rectangular coordinates, where computing square roots may not be as straightforward.
Nikitin
Hey! In an example in my textbook, the complex equation z2 +2i*z-(1+i) = 0

is solved using the quadratic formula, so that it ends up with:

z= -i ± √i = -i ± (1+i)/√2 = ...etc.

Uhm.. I got 2 questions:

1) Why isn't the first solution (-i ± √i) acceptable?
2) How does √i = (1+i)/√2 ? Only thing I know is that the root of two is the length of 1+i, but how does dividing 1+i with its length give √i?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:
Hey! In an example in my textbook, the complex equation z2 +2i*z-(1+i) = 0

is solved using the quadratic formula, so that it ends up with:

z= -i ± √i = -i ± (1+i)/√2

Uhm.. I got 2 questions:

1) Why isn't the first solution acceptable?
Who says it isn't acceptable? It may not be in its simplest form, for someone who doesn't want to see complex numbers inside square roots, but it is perfectly correct. Neither answer is in the standard form [itex]a + bi[/itex] where [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are real numbers. Normally it's a good idea to express the answer that way unless asked to do otherwise.
2) How does √i = (1+i)/√2 ?
It is easy to take square roots of complex numbers if we put them into polar coordinates, such as [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex]. In this case we have [itex]i = 1 \cdot e^{i\pi/2}[/itex]. What is the square root of that number?

Ah, I see. √i = e^i*π/4 or e^i*5π/4, => √i = ± (1+i)/√2.

Thank you!

But can you explain me why it is easier to take square roots if you put the complex number in the re^iθ form? It's the same kind of work as if you have the number in r(cosθ + i*sinθ) form, just with a bit less writing. Right?

Nikitin said:
Ah, I see. √i = e^i*π/4 or e^i*5π/4, => √i = ± (1+i)/√2.

Thank you!

But can you explain me why it is easier to take square roots if you put the complex number in the re^iθ form? It's the same kind of work as if you have the number in r(cosθ + i*sinθ) form, just with a bit less writing. Right?
Sure, your form is also polar form, so use whichever you prefer. The key is that you can easily see the magnitude [itex]r[/itex] and the angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. I was contrasting these forms with rectangular coordinates, which look like [itex]a + ib[/itex] with [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] real, or with other forms such as [itex]\sqrt{i}[/itex], where there's no obvious method to compute roots.

Ah, thanks. I was unsure what polar form meant, but i see now. Thx again!

Related to Understanding the Quadratic Formula and Solving Complex Equations

1. How do I approach solving a complex equation?

There is no one right way to solve a complex equation, as it often depends on the specific equation and your own problem-solving skills. However, a common approach is to start by simplifying the equation as much as possible and then using techniques such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula to isolate the variable.

2. What if I get stuck while trying to solve a complex equation?

If you encounter difficulties while solving a complex equation, don't panic. Take a step back and review the basic rules of algebra. It may also be helpful to break the equation into smaller, more manageable parts. If you still can't solve the equation, consider seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or online resource.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a complex equation?

While calculators can be useful tools in solving equations, it's important to remember that they are not infallible. It's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the original equation. Additionally, not all calculators can handle complex equations, so it's important to know the capabilities of your specific calculator.

4. Is there a shortcut for solving a complex equation?

Unfortunately, there is no universal shortcut for solving a complex equation. However, there are some strategies that can make the process easier. These include familiarizing yourself with common algebraic patterns, practicing regularly, and breaking the equation into smaller parts if possible.

5. Why is it important to solve complex equations?

Complex equations are often used to model and solve real-world problems in fields such as science, engineering, and finance. Being able to solve these equations accurately and efficiently is crucial for making informed decisions and solving complex problems in these fields. Additionally, solving complex equations can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in many areas of life.