Understanding the Proof of R is Complete: S Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the completeness of real numbers and the existence of a Cauchy sequence that converges to a real number. The goal is to show that all convergent sequences in R converge to a real number, which can be proven by showing that all Cauchy sequences in R converge to a number in R. The set S is used in the proof and is defined as the set of all real numbers that are less than or equal to infinitely many terms in a Cauchy sequence a1, a2, a3, ... The proof relies on the fact that the real number system has the least upper bound property, which guarantees the existence of a least upper bound that is a real number.
VonWeber

Homework Statement

I'm reading a book on analysis independently. There is a Theorem that R is complete, i.e. any Cauchy sequence of real numbers converges to a real number.

He let's a1, a2, a3, ... be a Cauchy sequence, then considers the the set:

S = { x an element of R : x ≤ an for an infinite number of positive integers n }

and the proof shows that lim an = supS.

I'm baffled at what the set S is supposed to be. The proof won't work if it is the intersection of sets { x : x ≤ an } for all n, nor union of such sets. It can't be the limit of an because this is a proof of it's existence.

Physics news on Phys.org
The set S seems explicitly described.

x is in S if and only if x is less than or equal to infinitely many of the a_i.

If R is not complete, then there exists a convergent sequence that converges to number that is not real.

So to show R is complete, you must show ALL convergent sequences converge to a real number. We already know all convergent sequences are Cauchy, so if you show all Cauchy sequences in R converge to a number in R, then you have shown all convergent sequences converge to a number in R which by def means R is complete.

If you already knew the above sorry =b

By axiom (I believe, I am rusty), R has the least upperbound (lub) property. That means if I have a sequence with an upper bound, it will have a least upper bound, and what's important for this proof is that by "have a least upper bound" we mean that not only does the lub exist, but it is a real number.

What's the goal? To show a_n is is a real number.

Well, your proof comes up with a bounded (by above) set, which gives it a lub that is real. Then it turns out that a_n is the lub, so a_n is real. Which is the goal.

If you also already knew the above then bourbaki probably explained it.. I can only help with an example:

Consider:
a_n := 1/n ie 1, 1/2 , 1/3, 1/4 (just a random convergent sequence).. then

S = R^- U { 0 } (all the negative real numbers and 0).

You can see easily that the lub is 0 and that a_n converges to 0.

what if we let it go to 0 from the left?
a_n = 0 - 1/n ie -1, -1/2, -1/3 etc

S = (-infty,0) // why not 0?

Anyways,.. again the lub is 0 and this is another example of an S.

So the quick answer is S is a trick used to solve the problem, and someone (I hope!) spent a long time figuring it out.. I only hope because it would have taken me personally a long time, if ever, to prove it like this.

mistermath said:
If R is not complete, then there exists a convergent sequence that converges to number that is not real.
How, exactly are you defining "convergent" in this case? I would have said, rather, that there exist Cauchy sequences that do not converge.

So to show R is complete, you must show ALL convergent sequences converge to a real number.
again, since you are working in the real number system, there are no numbers except real numbers. How are you defining "converge" here?

We already know all convergent sequences are Cauchy, so if you show all Cauchy sequences in R converge to a number in R, then you have shown all convergent sequences converge to a number in R which by def means R is complete.

If you already knew the above sorry =b

By axiom (I believe, I am rusty), R has the least upperbound (lub) property. That means if I have a sequence with an upper bound, it will have a least upper bound, and what's important for this proof is that by "have a least upper bound" we mean that not only does the lub exist, but it is a real number.

What's the goal? To show a_n is is a real number.

Well, your proof comes up with a bounded (by above) set, which gives it a lub that is real. Then it turns out that a_n is the lub, so a_n is real. Which is the goal.

If you also already knew the above then bourbaki probably explained it.. I can only help with an example:

Consider:
a_n := 1/n ie 1, 1/2 , 1/3, 1/4 (just a random convergent sequence).. then

S = R^- U { 0 } (all the negative real numbers and 0).

You can see easily that the lub is 0 and that a_n converges to 0.

what if we let it go to 0 from the left?
a_n = 0 - 1/n ie -1, -1/2, -1/3 etc

S = (-infty,0) // why not 0?

Anyways,.. again the lub is 0 and this is another example of an S.

So the quick answer is S is a trick used to solve the problem, and someone (I hope!) spent a long time figuring it out.. I only hope because it would have taken me personally a long time, if ever, to prove it like this.

I like your wording better.

If R is not complete, then there exists a Cauchy sequence that does not converge.

n_bourbaki said:
The set S seems explicitly described.

x is in S if and only if x is less than or equal to infinitely many of the a_i.

Thanks, perfect. Sometimes just hearing something said with different wording helps people get unstuck.

Related to Understanding the Proof of R is Complete: S Explained

1. What is the definition of completeness in mathematics?

Completeness in mathematics refers to the property of a mathematical system where every statement can be proven to be either true or false. It essentially means that there are no gaps or missing pieces in the logic or reasoning of the system.

2. How does this relate to the proof of R being complete?

The proof of R being complete, also known as the Completeness Theorem, states that any statement or proposition in the language of first-order logic can be proven to be true or false using the axioms and rules of inference in the system of real numbers (R). This demonstrates the completeness of the system, as every statement can be proven to be either true or false.

3. What is the significance of the Completeness Theorem?

The Completeness Theorem is a fundamental result in mathematical logic, as it shows that the system of real numbers (R) is a complete and consistent system. This allows for the development of rigorous mathematical proofs and allows us to confidently make deductions and conclusions from the axioms and rules of inference in the system.

4. How does the proof of R being complete impact other branches of mathematics?

The Completeness Theorem has far-reaching implications in various branches of mathematics, such as analysis, algebra, and geometry. It provides a solid foundation for the development of these branches and allows for the construction of more complex mathematical systems based on the completeness of R.

5. Are there any limitations to the completeness of R?

While the proof of R being complete is a significant result, it does have limitations. For example, it only applies to statements in the language of first-order logic and does not guarantee the completeness of other mathematical systems. Additionally, the proof does not provide a method for determining whether a statement is true or false, it simply shows that it can be proven to be one or the other.