Understanding the Parameters of SU(4) and SU(2)

In summary: The parameters in ##SU(4)## and ##SU(2)## are complex numbers that satisfy a certain condition: ##U^\dagger U=1## and ##\det(U)=1##. These equations are called the group laws. You can think of them as the conditions that must be met for the groups to exist. The ##\alpha_i## are determined by solving the equations for the ##\alpha_i##. If you only consider certain parameters, it will have a small effect on the other parameters. But I'm not sure if that's really what you want to know.
munirah

Homework Statement

Good day,

From my reading, SU(4) have 15 parameter and SU(2) has 3 paramater that range differently with certain parameter(rotation angle). And all the parameter is linearly independent to each other.

My question are: 1. What the characteristic of each of the parameter? 2. If I choose two of them, what is the reason behind the theory?

Can anyone explain to me or suggest any book/paper to me to understand the parameter itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
munirah said:

Homework Statement

Good day,

From my reading, SU(4) have 15 parameter and SU(2) has 3 paramater that range differently with certain parameter(rotation angle). And all the parameter is linearly independent to each other.

My question are: 1. What the characteristic of each of the parameter? 2. If I choose two of them, what is the reason behind the theory?

Can anyone explain to me or suggest any book/paper to me to understand the parameter itself.
What you call parameter are either parameters in generators of the groups ##SU(4)## or ##SU(2)##, as an angle of a rotation would be, or the basis vectors in their tangent spaces ##\mathfrak{su}(4) \, , \, \mathfrak{su}(2)## resp., which define the dimensions, and your wording about linearity suggests. You could also mean a parametrized curve on the manifold ##SU(n)## where we may calculate, e.g. tangents at.
So it's not really clear to me what exactly you are referring to, even though all these are related.

##15## and ##3## are the dimensions of these groups over the real numbers, the dimensions of their tangent spaces.
Linear independency only makes sense on linear structures, which the groups are not. There is no ##0## in sight! (And a rotation of an angle of 0° doesn't count, as it is the identity transformation, i.e. ##1##.) So the term can only be applied to their Lie algebras, their tangent spaces. As basis vectors they are linearly independent. E.g. the three Pauli-matrices build a basis of ##\mathfrak{su}(2)##, the eight Gell-Mann matrices build a basis of ##\mathfrak{su}(3)## and I don't know whether there is a named basis for ##\mathfrak{su}(4)##.

In general the ##SU(n)## are transformation groups, i.e. groups of transformations, that act on ##\mathbb{C}^n##.
If one group element acts as a rotation, then the rotation angle is a parameter in the sense that two different angles are two different transformations, although both are still rotations. You could also have different rotation axis with the same angle. So basically we are talking about geometric properties here.

I don't understand the second of your questions. Maybe you could give an example.

Likes munirah
Thank you so much for reply.

From the parameter below

SU(4), it has 15 parameter
1. 0 ≤ α1,α7,α11 ≤ π
2. 0 ≤ α3,α5,α9,α13 ≤ 2π
3. 0 ≤ α2,α4,α6,α8,α10,α12 ≤ π/2
4. 0 ≤ α14 ≤ √3 π
5. 0 ≤ α15 ≤ 2π √(2/3)

and SU(2)
1. 0 ≤ β1,β3 ≤ π
2. 0 ≤β2≤ π/2

What I mean, in SU(4), the parameter is divided into 5 range and in SU(2) in two range respectively to the paramater. MY questions are:
1.Is it 5 range in SU(4) and 2 range in SU(2) can said a group?
2. Why the parameter is determined like that?.
3. If I that for example α2 and α1 to my calculation, what it mean actually? What happen to other?
4. Is there any rule to me take the parameter or I can simply take it ? And why I can select the certain parameter?

##SU(4)## are complex ##(4 \times 4)-##matrices which satisfy a certain condition, namely ##U^\dagger U=1## and ##\det(U)=1##.
How are the ##\alpha_i## defined? Likewise for ##SU(2)##. I suppose, if you write down matrices that contain the ##\alpha_i##, they will generate the group. But I'm not sure.

If you look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_unitary_group#n_.3D_2, there are other parameters. How do yours fit in?

Likes munirah
thank you. I understand about that but still don't get what happen if I only consider only certain parameter.It is will effect other or not?

Related to Understanding the Parameters of SU(4) and SU(2)

1. What is the difference between SU(4) and SU(2)?

The main difference between SU(4) and SU(2) is their dimensions. SU(4) is a 4-dimensional group, while SU(2) is a 2-dimensional group. Additionally, SU(4) is a larger group than SU(2) and has more complex representations.

2. What is the significance of the parameter of SU(4) and SU(2)?

The parameter of SU(4) and SU(2) is an important quantity that describes the behavior of particles within these groups. It is used to determine the symmetry properties of physical systems and plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental interactions of particles.

3. How is the parameter of SU(4) and SU(2) determined?

The parameter of SU(4) and SU(2) is determined by the structure constants of the group. These constants are related to the commutation relations of the group's generators and can be calculated using mathematical techniques such as Lie algebra.

4. Can the parameter of SU(4) and SU(2) be changed?

The parameter of SU(4) and SU(2) is a fundamental property of these groups and cannot be changed. It is a fixed value that characterizes the group's symmetry and cannot be altered by any physical process.

5. How does the parameter of SU(4) and SU(2) relate to other groups?

The parameter of SU(4) and SU(2) is related to other groups through a mathematical concept known as isomorphism. This means that although the groups may have different representations and dimensions, they share the same underlying symmetry properties and can be mapped onto each other through certain transformations.