Understanding the Origin of e=mc^2 with Einstein's Explanation

• Thread starter Neohaven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc^2
In summary, e=mc^2 is a famous equation that comes from the theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein. It relates energy (E) to mass (m) and the speed of light (c) squared. A concise mathematical proof for this equation can be found in many sources, such as the thread provided by the user AM and an explanation from Einstein himself.
Neohaven
Where does e=mc^2 come from?

i would like a concise ( if possible ) mathematic proof, i know about derivatives, and integrals, so you can go on with that...

that's simply because i want to understand why it is like so... this is no homework, but i found no better place to ask it

regards,

Neohaven

Physics news on Phys.org
Neohaven said:
Where does e=mc^2 come from?

i would like a concise ( if possible ) mathematic proof, i know about derivatives, and integrals, so you can go on with that...

that's simply because i want to understand why it is like so... this is no homework, but i found no better place to ask it

regards,

Neohaven
Have a look at this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64645

AM

Here is this link...it's an explanation from Einstein himself
http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/voice1.htm

Related to Understanding the Origin of e=mc^2 with Einstein's Explanation

1. What does the equation e=mc^2 mean?

The equation e=mc^2 is known as the mass-energy equivalence equation and it states that energy (e) is equal to the mass (m) of an object multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

2. Who discovered the equation e=mc^2?

The equation e=mc^2 was first proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 as part of his Theory of Special Relativity.

3. How was the equation e=mc^2 derived?

The equation e=mc^2 was derived by Einstein using mathematical equations and thought experiments to understand the relationship between energy and mass.

4. What is the significance of the equation e=mc^2?

The equation e=mc^2 is significant because it revolutionized our understanding of the relationship between energy and mass, and it has many practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy and particle physics.

5. Can the equation e=mc^2 be applied to all objects?

Yes, the equation e=mc^2 can be applied to all objects, but it is most relevant for objects with high speeds or very large masses, such as particles in a nuclear reaction or stars in the universe.