Understanding the Laws of Sine and Cosine

In summary, the Law of Sine states that for a triangle with sides a, b, and c, the sine of angle A divided by side a is equal to the sine of angle B divided by side b, which is also equal to the sine of angle C divided by side c. The Law of Cosines states that for a triangle with sides a, b, and c, the square of side a is equal to the sum of the squares of sides b and c, minus twice the product of sides b and c and the cosine of angle A. Both of these laws can be proven or explained using various methods, such as using the area of triangles or manipulating the Pythagorean theorem. Examples of proving these laws can provide a
manbush
Law of Sine = Sin A/a = Sin B /b = Sin c/c

Law of Cosines
a^2=b^2 + c^2 - 2bc Cos A

I used to know how to "prove" both of these laws but I haven't touched math for years.

Can someone "prove" them or "explain" what these laws exactly mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
As for the law of sines:
Use the sine law for the AREA of triangles in a clever way!

As for the cosine law:
Make a triangle with acute angles, draw its height h, so that you have two right-angled triangles.
Fiddle around with the Pythogorean theorem until you stumble upon the law of cosine

Sorry, I don't understand either. I been away from math too long. I know I could just use these formulas but I want to see the "proof".

Is it possible you could show me an example of proving them?

My friend taught me this...dont' quite remember, i would appreciate any help :D

Related to Understanding the Laws of Sine and Cosine

What is the Law of Sine?

The Law of Sine, also known as the Sine Rule, is a mathematical rule that relates the sides and angles of a triangle. It states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of the opposite angle is the same for all sides and angles of the triangle.

What is the Law of Cosine?

The Law of Cosine, also known as the Cosine Rule, is a mathematical rule that relates the sides and angles of a triangle. It states that the square of the length of a side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those sides and the cosine of the included angle.

When do we use the Law of Sine?

The Law of Sine is used to solve triangles when we know the measures of two angles and one side, or the measures of two sides and one non-included angle. It is commonly used in trigonometry and geometry problems.

When do we use the Law of Cosine?

The Law of Cosine is used to solve triangles when we know the measures of three sides, or two sides and the included angle. It is commonly used in trigonometry and geometry problems, and is especially useful for solving non-right triangles.

What are the applications of the Laws of Sine and Cosine?

The Laws of Sine and Cosine have many real-world applications, such as in navigation and surveying. They are also used in physics and engineering for calculating forces and distances in non-right triangles. Additionally, they are used in computer graphics and animation for creating 3D models and animations.