Understanding the Law of Reflection in Electromagnetic Waves

In summary: But apparently that's not the case here. :(I guess so, and there's my problem. I tend to think of kzr without the sign as the z component of kr. But apparently that's not the case here. :(
_Andreas

Homework Statement

An electromagnetic wave is incident upon a planar interface at an oblique angle [tex]\theta_i[/tex], where it is reflected. For the wave vector components parallel to the interface, we have [tex]k_{xi}=k_{xr}[/tex]. Thus, [tex]\theta_i=\theta_r[/tex]. The wave numbers for the incident and reflected waves are equal. Find the relation between the wave vector components normal to the interface for the incident and reflected waves.

Homework Equations

[tex]\cos\theta_i=\cos\theta_r[/tex]

See attached picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

Thus, from the picture, [tex]\frac{k_{zr}}{k}=\frac{k_{zi}}{k}\Longrightarrow k_{zr}=k_{zi}[/tex].

To me this seems to imply that both normal components point in the same direction, in addition to being of the same magnitude. But shouldn't the normal components have opposite signs, since the incident and reflected waves travel in opposite normal directions?

Attachments

• reflection.jpg
    reflection.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi _Andreas! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
_Andreas said:
Thus, from the picture, [tex]\frac{k_{zr}}{k}=\frac{k_{zi}}{k}[/tex]

I don't understand how you get kzr/k = kzi/k :confused:

Hi!

tiny-tim said:
Hi _Andreas! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)I don't understand how you get kzr/k = kzi/k :confused:

It follows from cosθi=kzi/k and cosθr=kzr/k, since θir and k=|ki| = |kr|.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your picture, but isn't cosθi = -kzi/k ? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your picture, but isn't cosθi = -kzi/k ? :confused:

Uhm... can you explain how you get this result?

kzi points right? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
kzi points right? :confused:

Sure, but that's in the positive z direction.

ah, then isn't cosθr = -kzr/k ? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
ah, then isn't cosθr = -kzr/k ? :confused:

I guess so, and there's my problem. I tend to think of kzr without the sign as the z component of kr.

Related to Understanding the Law of Reflection in Electromagnetic Waves

1. What is the Law of Reflection in Electromagnetic Waves?

The Law of Reflection in Electromagnetic Waves is a fundamental principle in physics that states that when an electromagnetic wave, such as light, is incident upon a reflective surface, the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the incoming wave and the reflected wave will have the same angle with respect to the surface normal.

2. How does the Law of Reflection apply to mirrors?

The Law of Reflection applies to mirrors because they are highly reflective surfaces that follow the principle of the equal angles of incidence and reflection. This is why we can see our reflection in a mirror - the light from our face is reflected at the same angle it hits the mirror, allowing us to see our image.

3. What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection refers to the reflection of light off a smooth surface, such as a mirror, where the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. Diffuse reflection, on the other hand, occurs when light is reflected off a rough or uneven surface, causing the reflected light to scatter in all directions.

4. How does the Law of Reflection relate to the color of objects?

According to the Law of Reflection, the angle of incidence and reflection are equal for all wavelengths of light, including the visible spectrum. This means that the color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light it reflects, which are then perceived by our eyes. For example, a red object appears red because it reflects predominantly red light.

5. Can the Law of Reflection be applied to all electromagnetic waves?

Yes, the Law of Reflection applies to all electromagnetic waves, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. This is because all electromagnetic waves exhibit the same properties of reflection, including the equal angles of incidence and reflection.