Deriving the law of reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the use of sine and cosine functions in deriving the law of reflection for Electromagnetic Waves and Optics. The discussion also addresses a potential misprint in the book and different solutions for solving the equation.
KaseyKC
I'm trying to derive the law of reflection for Electromagnetic Waves and Optics. I'm using some lecture notes that my university provided. I'm confused as to why the two sine functions are changed to cosine functions as you don't do the same when you are deriving Snell's law.

Refer to attached for the equations.

I'm currently stuck at the part just before the sine's are converted into cosine functions.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello KKC, and welcome to PF :smile: !

You do want to use the template in the homework forum (it's mandatory, and the good spirits that watch over us get nasty if you don't).

However, for your question: I think it's a misprint in the book. They say ##k_{ Iz} = k_{ Rz}## but they work out ##k_{ Ix} = k_{ Rx}##. The first -- as you correctly point out -- leads to ##\sin \theta_I = \sin \theta_R \Rightarrow \theta_I = \theta_R##.

Personally, I don't really like the second (##k_{ Ix} = k_{ Rx}##), because ##\cos \theta_I = \cos \theta_R \Rightarrow \theta_I = \theta_R## isn't even correct (should be ##\Rightarrow \theta_I = \pm \; \theta_R##).

I leave it to you to discover why the "other solution" of ##\sin \theta_I = \sin \theta_R## does not make it wrong to write ## \Rightarrow \theta_I = \theta_R## :rolleyes: !​

Likes KaseyKC

Related to Deriving the law of reflection

1. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that when a ray of light hits a smooth, reflective surface, the angle of incidence (the angle between the incoming ray and the normal to the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle between the reflected ray and the normal).

2. How is the law of reflection derived?

The law of reflection can be derived using the principle of Fermat's least time. This principle states that light will travel the path that takes the least amount of time. By considering the path of a ray of light traveling from a point A to a point B and reflecting off a smooth surface, we can use the principle of least time to derive the law of reflection.

3. What is the significance of the law of reflection?

The law of reflection is significant because it helps us understand and predict how light will behave when it hits a reflective surface. This is important in various fields such as optics, physics, and engineering.

4. Are there any exceptions to the law of reflection?

In general, the law of reflection holds true for smooth, flat surfaces. However, in some cases, the surface may not be perfectly smooth or flat, and this can cause some deviation from the expected angle of reflection. Additionally, when light hits a rough surface, it may scatter in various directions rather than reflecting at a specific angle.

5. Can the law of reflection be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, the law of reflection can be applied to other types of waves besides light, such as sound waves and water waves. In these cases, the angles of incidence and reflection are measured between the wave's direction of travel and the normal to the surface. The law of reflection remains the same, stating that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.