Understanding the Klein-Gordon Propagator and its Satisfying Equation

In summary, the KG propagator G_F(x) satisfying (\square + m^2) G_F(x) = -\delta(x) can be shown to be (\square + m^2) G_F(x) = -\delta^4. The remaining integral is cancelled by taking the limit of epsilon approaching 0. The i epsilon term is negligible in this context.
WarnK

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Show that the KG propagator
[tex] G_F (x) = \int \frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4} e^{-ip.x} \frac{1}{p^2-m^2+i\epsilon} [/tex]
satsify
[tex](\square + m^2) G_F (x) = -\delta(x) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get
[tex](\square + m^2) G_F (x) = - \int \frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4} (p^2-m^2) e^{-ip.x} \frac{1}{p^2-m^2+i\epsilon} [/tex]
but where do I go from there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cancel the numerate and denominator p^2-m^2.
The i epsilon is just a direction how to take the contour, and is negligible here.
The remaining integral is \delta^4.

how does (p^2-m^2)/(p^2-m^+i*epsilon) cancel?

I would try to do the limit of epsilon -> 0+

Last edited:
malawi_glenn said:
how does (p^2-m^2)/(p^2-m^+i*epsilon) cancel?

I would try to do the limit of epsilon -> 0+
That's what
"The i epsilon is just a direction how to take the contour, and is negligible here."
means.

Related to Understanding the Klein-Gordon Propagator and its Satisfying Equation

1. What is the Klein-Gordon propagator?

The Klein-Gordon propagator is a mathematical formula used in quantum field theory to describe the propagation of a scalar particle. It is a solution to the Klein-Gordon equation, which is a relativistic wave equation for particles with zero spin.

2. How is the Klein-Gordon propagator derived?

The Klein-Gordon propagator is derived using the path integral formalism of quantum field theory. It involves summing over all possible paths of a particle in spacetime and weighting them by the action of the particle. This results in a propagator that describes the probability amplitude for a particle to go from one point to another in spacetime.

3. What are the physical interpretations of the Klein-Gordon propagator?

The Klein-Gordon propagator has two main physical interpretations. Firstly, it can be used to calculate the probability amplitude for a scalar particle to propagate from one point to another in spacetime. Secondly, it can be used to calculate the vacuum expectation value of a field operator, which represents the average value of a field at a given point in spacetime.

4. How is the Klein-Gordon propagator used in particle physics?

The Klein-Gordon propagator is used in particle physics to calculate scattering amplitudes between particles. These amplitudes can then be used to make predictions about the likelihood of certain particle interactions in experiments. It is also used in calculations of particle decay rates and in the study of quantum field theories.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Klein-Gordon propagator?

Yes, there are some limitations to the use of the Klein-Gordon propagator. It is only applicable to particles with zero spin, and it does not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions between particles. Additionally, it is a non-relativistic approximation, so it may not accurately describe particle behavior at high energies or speeds.