Understanding the kinematic equations

In summary, to come to the kinematic equations for uniformly accelerated motion, you need to integrate a, and then integrate again to get r.
phrygian
So I am trying to fully understand how to come about the kinematic equations for uniformly accelerated motion.

So v = dr/dt and a = dv/dt

How does the math work behind this I know the second is the derivative of the first.

dr = v*dt dv = a*dt

So dv is the derivative of dr, a is the derivative of v, then why do we not do anything with dt?

Rusty on my calculus anyone who could explain this to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
phrygian said:
So v = dr/dt and a = dv/dt
These are true in general, not just for uniformly accelerated motion.

How does the math work behind this I know the second is the derivative of the first.

dr = v*dt dv = a*dt
OK. Now you just need to integrate a to get v, then integrate again to get r.

So dv is the derivative of dr, a is the derivative of v, then why do we not do anything with dt?
dv is not the derivative of dr, v is the derivative of r with respect to time. When you integrate, you'll get time as a variable.

I'll start you off. We know that a is a constant for uniformly accelerated motion. So what's v? v = ∫a dt. Evaluate that simple integral.

Okay I think I get it so v = a*t + V0 because "a" is a constant

Then

∫dr = ∫v*dt

∫dr = ∫(a*t + v0)dt

r = (1/2)a*t^2 + V0t +r0

Is this all correct?

And then I assume it must be fundamentally wrong but don't know exactly why to start with v=dr/dt and get ∫dr = ∫v*dt and then go something like r = (1/2)v^2 * t? Or is it possible to work the problem out starting from ∫dr = ∫v*dt?

phrygian said:
Okay I think I get it so v = a*t + V0 because "a" is a constant

Then

∫dr = ∫v*dt

∫dr = ∫(a*t + v0)dt

r = (1/2)a*t^2 + V0t +r0

Is this all correct?
Yes. All good.

And then I assume it must be fundamentally wrong
Why would you assume that? :confused:
but don't know exactly why to start with v=dr/dt and get ∫dr = ∫v*dt and then go something like r = (1/2)v^2 * t? Or is it possible to work the problem out starting from ∫dr = ∫v*dt?
You need to start with what you know. All you know is that acceleration is constant. While it's certainly true that r = ∫v*dt (that's just a restatement of the definition of v, v = dr/dt), since you don't know v(t) you cannot do the integral.

And also is calculus the only way to derive these euqations or is it also possible to do it with just algebra or another way?

And also am I right that there are four kinematic equations total with the other two being combinations of the original two?

phrygian said:
And also is calculus the only way to derive these euqations or is it also possible to do it with just algebra or another way?
You could certainly derive the basic equations using algebra.
And also am I right that there are four kinematic equations total with the other two being combinations of the original two?
The number of kinematic equations depends on how you slice it. Here's one version: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2"

Last edited by a moderator:
The two equations that you derive by integration are all that you really need for constant acceleration:

[tex]v = v_0 + at[/tex]

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

provided that you're willing to solve them together with two unknowns for certain problems. The other one-dimensional kinematic equations are derived by solving these two, using different pairs of unknown quantities.

(hmm, looks like LaTeX doesn't quite work yet again after the server move... hopefully it won't take too long to fix this.)

Last edited:
Just to add: those other two equations are essentially statements about 2 familiar concepts.

(1) conservation of energy (kinetic + potential):

v2 = v02 +2 a (x-x0)

(Substitute a=-g, then multiply by m/2 to get a more familiar expression for conservation of energy)

and

(2) the average velocity of a uniformly accelerated particle

(v + v0) / 2 = (x-x0) / t

So while they can be derived from the other 2 equations by eliminating either t or a, I remember them by thinking about energy conservation or average velocity.

Related to Understanding the kinematic equations

1. What are the kinematic equations?

The kinematic equations are a set of equations that describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How many kinematic equations are there?

There are four kinematic equations:

1) Δx = v0t + 1/2at2 (equation for displacement)

2) v = v0 + at (equation for final velocity)

3) v2 = v02 + 2aΔx (equation for final velocity squared)

4) Δx = (v0 + v)/2 * t (equation for average velocity)

3. What are the variables in the kinematic equations?

The variables in the kinematic equations are:

- Δx: displacement (in meters)

- v: final velocity (in meters per second)

- v0: initial velocity (in meters per second)

- t: time (in seconds)

- a: acceleration (in meters per second squared)

4. How are the kinematic equations derived?

The kinematic equations are derived from the equations of motion, specifically the equations for constant acceleration. They are also derived using calculus and the concepts of displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

5. When should I use the kinematic equations?

The kinematic equations should be used when you need to calculate the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. They are especially useful for objects moving with constant acceleration, but can also be applied to objects with non-constant acceleration.