Use kinematic equations if acceleration is time dependent?

In summary: Zz.In summary, the conversation discusses the kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration and whether they can be used if the acceleration is not constant. It is determined that the equations cannot simply be replaced with a function of time and that integration is needed to find the expressions for velocity and position. The concept of parametrization in terms of arch length is also mentioned, but it is clarified that displacement is not a scalar and can only be treated as one in 1D problems.
fog37
Hello forum,
The kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration are:

v_f = v_0 + a*t
x_f = x_0 + v_0 * t +(0.5) a*t^2

The acceleration a is a constant.

Is it possible to use them if the acceleration is not constant but a function of time? For example, a(t)= 3t^2+2?
Can we simply replace a(t) in the equations above? I don't think so.

Do we need to solve dv/dt= a(t) for v(t) and the integrate v(t) to find the expression for x(t)?

I found a website that discusses time-dependent acceleration:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/avari.html#c1

thanks
fog37

Physics news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
Hello forum,
The kinematic equations for motion with constant acceleration are:

v_f = v_0 + a*t
x_f = x_0 + v_0 * t +(0.5) a*t^2

The acceleration a is a constant.

Is it possible to use them if the acceleration is not constant but a function of time? For example, a(t)= 3t^2+2?
Can we simply replace a(t) in the equations above? I don't think so.

Do we need to solve dv/dt= a(t) for v(t) and the integrate v(t) to find the expression for x(t)?

I found a website that discusses time-dependent acceleration:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/avari.html#c1

thanks
fog37
You can't just replace a by a(t) in the equations that are valid for constant acceleration.
Basically, you have to integrate a(t) to get v(t), and integrate v(t) to get x(t).

The website you mentioned shows it clearly: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acons.html#c3
acc.jpg

Ok thanks! all clear.

We are usually working with position versus time, acceleration versus time, velocity versus time: x(t), a(t), v(t)

The distance traveled s is a scalar. Is it possible to express position x, acceleration a, and velocity v as a function of s? Is that called parametrization in term of arch length? How could I do that? Do you have a simple example?

fog37 said:
Ok thanks! all clear.

We are usually working with position versus time, acceleration versus time, velocity versus time: x(t), a(t), v(t)

The distance traveled s is a scalar. Is it possible to express position x, acceleration a, and velocity v as a function of s? Is that called parametrization in term of arch length? How could I do that? Do you have a simple example?

Wait.. back off a bit. "Distance traveled" is often designated as "displacement". This is NOT a scalar. It has distance AND direction!

Now, it is often treated as a "scalar" when one is only dealing with 1D problems. In that case, the only thing you care about if it is to the "left" or to the "right" of the origin. But do not confuse this as generalizing displacement as being a scalar.

Secondly, you can parameterize anything IF there is a relationship to connect them. In Hooke's law, the force can be expressed as a function of the displacement from equilibrium, i.e. a function of distance, not time.

Zz.

I did not mean displacement (which is a vector), either instantaneous or average, but the length of the trajectory at a specific instant of time as the independent variable for either velocity vector or position vector

Thanks,

Related to Use kinematic equations if acceleration is time dependent?

1. What are kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations are mathematical equations that are used to describe the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. They involve variables such as time, displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How do I know if acceleration is time dependent?

Acceleration is considered time dependent if it changes over time. This means that the acceleration value is not constant and can vary at different points during the motion of an object.

3. What are the three kinematic equations?

The three kinematic equations are:

1. Displacement (Δx) = initial velocity (v0) * time (t) + 1/2 * acceleration (a) * time squared (t^2)

2. Final velocity (v) = initial velocity (v0) + acceleration (a) * time (t)

3. Final velocity (v)^2 = initial velocity (v0)^2 + 2 * acceleration (a) * displacement (Δx)

4. How are kinematic equations used if acceleration is time dependent?

If acceleration is time dependent, the kinematic equations can still be used by finding the average acceleration over a specific time interval and using that value in the equations. Alternatively, calculus can be used to find the instantaneous acceleration at a specific point in time.

5. What are some real-world applications of using kinematic equations with time-dependent acceleration?

Kinematic equations with time-dependent acceleration are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to calculate the motion of objects. They are also used in sports science to analyze the movement of athletes and in the design of roller coasters and other amusement park rides.