Understanding the Integration by Parts Method: Solving Exercise 3

In summary, the student is trying to find a solution to a problem where they are stuck on an integral. They attempted to use integration by parts and found that the first term on the right is equal to -(1-x^2). They simplified and found that x^2 - 1 = -(1-x^2).
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Use integration by parts to show that

∫(sqrt(1-x^2) dx = x(sqrt(1-x^2) + ∫ (x^2) / sqrt(1 - x^2)

write x^2 = x^2 -1 + 1 in the second integral and deduce the formula

∫(sqrt(1-x^2) dx = (1/2)x(sqrt(1-x^2) + (1/2)∫ 1 / sqrt(1 - x^2) dx

I actually found a solution guide to this problem online. Although I don't even understand the solution. I do but I'm stuck on something. Please see the pdf attached. It is exercise 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so I'm confused on how they got the first integral after the = sign which reads -∫sqrt(1-x^2) dx

So what I tried to do was what the book tells me to do.

I sub so I got ∫x^2 / sqrt(1-x^2)dx = ∫ (x^2 -1) / sqrt(1-x^2) dx + ∫ (1/ sqrt(1-x^2)) dx

So if you look the integral on the right is OK that takes care of the last integral in eq 2 in the attached pdf. But I'm stuck with this integral and I have tried literally everything I can think of to get it to the form -∫sqrt(1-x^2) dx from ∫ (x^2 -1) / sqrt(1-x^2) dx

I tried to let u^2 = 1 - x^2 and sub back and sub the numerator for x^2 in terms of u.
I tried to let u = 1 - x^2.
I tried to let u = the numerator and I tried u^2 = numerator. I have tried trig substitution for the denominator I tried to draw a triangle and make sqrt ( 1 - x ^2) the adjacent side and proceed from there. NOTHING! This is frustrating because I have tried everything I know and I guarantee I will be mad because it is probably something simple I can't see. I feel I have exhausted my efforts

Just look at the attached note for exercise 3. You will see.
Thanks

Attachments

• caltech note.pdf
    134.8 KB · Views: 228
Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:
But I'm stuck with this integral and I have tried literally everything I can think of to get it to the form -∫sqrt(1-x^2) dx from ∫ (x^2 -1) / sqrt(1-x^2) dx

So what you have is: $$\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx = \int \frac{x^2 - 1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx + \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx$$

All they are doing to get the new form ##-\int \sqrt{1-x^2}\,dx## for the first term on the RHS is taking out a common factor on the numerator. What is that common factor?

[itex]\int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx = \int \frac{x^2 - 1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx + \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx [/itex]

Just a factor from this?
[itex] I = \int \frac{x^2 - 1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx [/itex]

[itex] I = \int \frac{(x-1)(x+1)}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx [/itex]

This is sad I don't see it.

Okay, I'll start you off: (You'll be kicking yourself)
$$x^2 - 1 = -(1-x^2)$$

Now simplify.

Likes 1 person
My foot hurts. Beyond dumb.

Related to Understanding the Integration by Parts Method: Solving Exercise 3

1. What is the purpose of changing the form of an integral?

The purpose of changing the form of an integral is to make it easier to solve or evaluate. By manipulating the integrand or limits of integration, we can often transform a difficult integral into a simpler one that can be easily solved using known techniques.

2. What are some common techniques used to change the form of an integral?

Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and partial fraction decomposition. These methods allow us to rewrite the integrand in a more manageable form.

3. Can changing the form of an integral affect the final result?

Yes, changing the form of an integral can sometimes result in a different final result. This is because different forms may lead to different methods of evaluation, and the chosen method may have its own limitations or assumptions. It is important to check the final result for accuracy and applicability to the original problem.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions when changing the form of an integral?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions to keep in mind when changing the form of an integral. For example, some methods may only work for certain types of integrands or limits of integration. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of each method and choose the most appropriate one for the given problem.

5. How can changing the form of an integral be helpful in real-world applications?

Changing the form of an integral can be extremely helpful in real-world applications, especially in physics and engineering. By changing the form of an integral, we can often simplify complex physical or engineering problems into solvable mathematical equations. This allows us to model and analyze real-world situations and make predictions or solve problems related to them.