Understanding the Heat Energy of Springs: Exploring Feynman's Explanation

In summary, Feynman discusses the concept of a spring as a simple perpetual machine in an ideal reversible case. However, in a real case, the atoms inside the spring cause jiggling and the conversion of kinetic energy into heat energy. This conversion is due to the atoms shifting and moving in random ways, rather than stretching and contracting. Additionally, the potential energy in a spring can also be converted directly into heat, if the spring rusts away without breaking first.
Aleoa
In an ideal reversible case, a spring is a simple perpetual machine ; in order to introduce the slowdown of a spring in a real case and the consequent heat development in the spring, Feynman writes (here par. 4.4):

"Inside a spring or a lever there are crystals which are made up of lots of atoms,
and with great care and delicacy in the arrangement of the parts one can try to
adjust things so that as something rolls on something else, none of the atoms do
any jiggling at all"

I don't understand what Feynman means with this sentence. Can you help me ?

Science news on Phys.org
If there were no jiggling, there would be no conversion of kinetic energy of the rolling object into random kinetic energy in that object and/or in the something else it is rolling on. In a spring this would not be rolling but e.g. wringing.

Likes Aleoa
BvU said:
If there were no jiggling, there would be no conversion of kinetic energy of the rolling object into random kinetic energy in that object and/or in the something else it is rolling on. In a spring this would not be rolling but e.g. wringing.

Suppose we stretch and the release a spring with no weight connected. If I've understood correctly, the conversion of kinetic energy is due to the atoms that, instead of stretching and contracting, start to move in random ways . Am i correct ?

ps: since in a spring there is both potential energy and kinect energy, why do we speak only about "conversion of kinetic energy into heat energy " ?

Aleoa said:
ps: since in a spring there is both potential energy and kinect energy, why do we speak only about "conversion of kinetic energy into heat energy " ?
When potential energy is converted to heat in a spring, it is usually first converted to kinetic energy.

I suppose that one could convert potential energy directly to heat if a compressed steel spring rusted away to nothing without breaking first.

Likes Aleoa
jbriggs444 said:
I suppose that one could convert potential energy directly to heat if a compressed steel spring rusted away to nothing without breaking first.
Interesting thought. I guess anything that would reduce the spring constant while it was extended would also work.

Likes jbriggs444
Aleoa said:
Suppose we stretch and the release a spring with no weight connected. If I've understood correctly, the conversion of kinetic energy is due to the atoms that, instead of stretching and contracting, start to move in random ways . Am i correct ?

The atoms do not stretch and contract. They shift relative to one another. But they do not shift simultaneously and smoothly as a continuous whole. So yes. In addition to the bulk shift of position, there is energy lost into random wiggles.

Likes Aleoa

Related to Understanding the Heat Energy of Springs: Exploring Feynman's Explanation

1. What is the concept of heat energy in relation to springs?

The concept of heat energy in relation to springs is based on the understanding that when a spring is compressed or stretched, work is done on the spring which results in the conversion of mechanical energy into heat energy. This heat energy is then dissipated into the surrounding environment.

2. Who is Feynman and what is his explanation of heat energy in springs?

Richard Feynman was a renowned physicist who made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics and particle physics. In his explanation of heat energy in springs, Feynman described how the movement of individual atoms within a spring causes friction, resulting in the conversion of mechanical energy into heat energy.

3. How does the heat energy of springs affect their elasticity?

The heat energy of springs can affect their elasticity by causing changes in the molecular structure of the spring material. As the temperature increases, the atoms within the spring vibrate more vigorously, which can lead to a decrease in the spring's elasticity over time.

4. Are there any real-world applications of understanding the heat energy of springs?

Yes, understanding the heat energy of springs has several real-world applications. For example, it is essential in the design and development of various mechanical systems, such as shock absorbers, car suspensions, and even door hinges. It is also crucial in the study of thermodynamics and the transfer of energy in different systems.

5. How can we measure the heat energy of a spring?

The heat energy of a spring can be measured using various methods, such as calorimetry, which involves measuring the change in temperature of the spring and its surrounding environment. Another method is by using a thermocouple, a device that can measure the temperature difference between two points on the spring. Additionally, advanced techniques such as infrared thermography can also be used to visualize and measure the distribution of heat energy within a spring.