Understanding Reversible Machines: Exploring Feynman's Limitations

In summary, Feynman explains that it is impossible to build a machine that can lift a weight higher than it is lifted by a reversible machine. A reversible machine operates with all heat flow occurring very slowly due to small temperature differences, and it can only lift a weight to a certain height before the heat flow reverses and work must be done on the system to continue lifting. This violates the laws of thermodynamics.
Ankush07
I am no able to understand the reasoning of Feynman in deducing that it is impossible to build a machine that will lift a weight higher than it will be lifted by a reversible machine. I am also not able to understand what reversible machine is. So, please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ankush07 said:
please help me.

These questions are too general. Can you narrow things down to a specific scenario that Feynman describes, involving a reversible machine, and then explain, in terms of that scenario, what you are having trouble understanding?

Ankush07 said:
I am no able to understand the reasoning of Feynman in deducing that it is impossible to build a machine that will lift a weight higher than it will be lifted by a reversible machine. I am also not able to understand what reversible machine is. So, please help me.
What do you know so far or what have you found on the attempt to answer this question? It is impossible because it violates the laws of thermodynamics, so what do you know about them?

Ankush07 said:
I am not able to understand the reasoning of Feynman in deducing that it is impossible to build a machine that will lift a weight higher than it will be lifted by a reversible machine. I am also not able to understand what reversible machine is. So, please help me.
Hi Ankush. Welcome to PF!

The general type of machine that Feynman is referring to is a machine that does useful mechanical work from heat flow between a hot reservoir and a cold reservoir. A reversible machine of this kind is one that operates with all heat flow occurring very slowly due to temperature differences that are arbitrarily close to zero (ie the temperature difference between the system and the hot reservoir or between the system and the cold reservoir). As heat flows from the hot to the system and then from the system to the cold reservoir the machine does mechanical work W (i.e. lifts a weight a change in height from 0 to H) . But with an infinitesimal change in conditions (an infinitesimal reduction of the temperature of the system) heat flow starts to occur in the other direction. In order to keep it flowing, work has to be done on the system. The same amount of work, W, done on the system will return the system and surroundings (the reservoirs) back to their original state (ie. the same amount of heat flow out of the hot reservoir when the engine was doing work W is returned to the hot reservoir). That is a reversible machine.

AM

Last edited:
Likes Stavros Kiri

Related to Understanding Reversible Machines: Exploring Feynman's Limitations

1. What is Feynman's Limitation and how does it relate to reversible machines?

Feynman's Limitation is a concept introduced by physicist Richard Feynman which states that there are fundamental limits to how efficiently a classical computer can simulate a quantum system. This limitation is relevant to reversible machines because they are based on principles of quantum mechanics and attempt to minimize energy loss, which is a key factor in overcoming Feynman's Limitation.

2. What are the benefits of using reversible machines?

Reversible machines have the potential to greatly improve computing efficiency by reducing energy consumption and heat dissipation. This can lead to faster computation speeds and longer battery life for electronic devices. Additionally, reversible machines have implications for quantum computing and could potentially lead to the development of more powerful and efficient quantum computers.

3. How do reversible machines work?

Reversible machines use reversible logic gates, which are digital logic gates that are designed to have a one-to-one mapping between input and output states. This means that the input can be recovered from the output, making the operation reversible. By minimizing energy loss and increasing efficiency, reversible machines are able to perform computations with a lower energy cost compared to traditional computers.

4. What are the limitations of reversible machines?

One of the main limitations of reversible machines is the difficulty in implementing them in practical applications. Reversible logic gates require precise control and synchronization, which can be challenging to achieve in real-world systems. Additionally, reversible machines are currently limited to performing simple operations and have not yet been able to compete with traditional computers in terms of speed and complexity.

5. How are reversible machines being used in current research?

Reversible machines are being extensively studied and researched in fields such as quantum computing and nanotechnology. Researchers are exploring ways to improve the efficiency and practicality of reversible machines, as well as their potential applications in fields such as data storage, cryptography, and simulation of quantum systems. Additionally, reversible machines are being used as a tool to better understand the fundamental limits of computation and the laws of thermodynamics.