Understanding the Harmonic Motion of Two Masses Connected by a Spring

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find equations for homework that relate the x-coordinates to the m-coordinates. The Attempt at a Solution provides a solution for one equation of the homework statement.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

Spring.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i)
##x_{cm} = \dfrac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1 + m_2}##
At any time t , ##x_{cm} = v_0t## and
##x_1= v_0t - A(1-\cos{ωt})##
From the above two ,

we get ##x_2 = v_0t + \dfrac{m_1}{m_2}A(1-\cos{wt})##

I'm not clear what to do in part (ii) .

I might have to use Energy conservation between times t=0 and time when the spring is in maximum elongation , but then what is the time when this happens and what is the maximum elongation of spring . Will it be the same amount by which it is compressed i.e L0
?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
what is the maximum elongation of spring . Will it be the same amount by which it is compressed i.e L0
To answer that, consider energy totals.

haruspex said:
To answer that, consider energy totals.

I get ## A = \frac{m_2 L_0}{2(m_1+m_2)}##

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
I get ## A = \frac{m_2 L_0}{2(m_1+m_2)}##
It cannot be asymmetric in m1, m2. Please show your working.

Edit: I retract that. I did not register that the definition of A is asymmetric in m1, m2.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
It cannot be asymmetric in m1, m2.

x1(t) has m2 and x2(t) has m1 in the numerator in their second terms respectively .

I rechecked my work .There should not be a 2 in the denominator .

Now the answer matches with the answer key :smile:

If you think ##A=\frac{m_2L_0}{m_1+m_2}## is incorrect please let me know .

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
x1(t) has m2 and x2(t) has m1 in the numerator in their second terms respectively .

I rechecked my work .There should not be a 2 in the denominator .

Now the answer matches with the answer key :smile:

If you think ##A=\frac{m_2L_0}{m_1+m_2}## is incorrect please let me know .
Sorry, you are right. It is asymmetric because of the way A is defined.

Thank you .

Is the motion of m1 and m2 SHM with respect to the Center of Mass ?

Jahnavi said:
Thank you .

Is the motion of m1 and m2 SHM with respect to the Center of Mass ?
Certainly.

haruspex said:
Certainly.

SHM is of the form kcos(ωt+Φ) , but in this question it is k(1-cosωt) ?

Are the two equivalent ?

Jahnavi said:
SHM is of the form kcos(ωt+Φ) , but in this question it is k(1-cosωt) ?

Are the two equivalent ?
It is still SHM, just around a different equilibrium point.
Perhaps I misunderstood your question. Did you mean, it is SHM with the common mass centre as equilibrium point? If so, no.

Are m1 and m2 performing SHM as seen from Center of Mass frame ?

If so , then x1(t) and x2(t) should be equal to xcm + kcos(ωt+Φ) ?

This is not happening in this problem .

Instead they are written as xcm + k(1-cos(ωt) .

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
Are m1 and m2 performing SHM as seen from Center of Mass frame ?

If so , then x1(t) and x2(t) should be equal to xcm + kcos(ωt+Φ) ?

This is not happening in this problem .

Instead they are written as xcm + k(1-cos(ωt) .
Your equation for SHM is unnecessarily restrictive. Let me quote Wikipedia:
The motion of a particle moving along a straight line with an acceleration which is always towards a fixed point on the line and whose magnitude is proportional to the distance from the fixed point is called simple harmonic motion [SHM]​
In the centre of mass frame, we can choose a point at offset k as that fixed point. It does not need to be the origin of the frame.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
In the centre of mass frame, we can choose a point at offset k as that fixed point. It does not need to be the origin of the frame.

Sorry I don't understand . Please explain in the context of above setup .

Is x = A(1-cosωt) an SHM ?

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
Sorry I don't understand . Please explain in the context of above setup .

Is x = A(1-cosωt) an SHM ?
Yes. There is a fixed point, x=A, such that the acceleration towards it is proportional to the distance from it.

haruspex said:
Yes. There is a fixed point, x=A, such that the acceleration towards it is proportional to the distance from it.

So , even though the frame (CM frame) is moving , the acceleration is proportional to a fixed point .

Where is that fixed point in this problem ?

Jahnavi said:
the acceleration is proportional to a fixed point .
A point that is fixed within the frame.
In the ground frame it is not SHM. in the common mass centre frame there is a fixed point (k) satisfying the conditions to make it SHM.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
A point that is fixed within the frame.
In the ground frame it is not SHM. in the common mass centre frame there is a fixed point (k) satisfying the conditions to make it SHM.

Is the fixed point in the frame necessarily the point of equilibrium for the SHM in that frame ?

In this problem , for m2 , is the fixed point a distance ##\frac{m_1L_0}{m_1+m_2}## from the CM (origin) ?

Similarly , for m1 , is the fixed point a distance ##\frac{m_2L_0}{m_1+m_2}## from the CM (origin) ?

Last edited:
##x_2 = v_0t + \dfrac{m_1}{m_2}A(1-\cos{wt})##

So , in the CM frame the displacement of m2 from the fixed point is basically ##-cosωt## ?

##-cosωt = cos(ωt+π)##

With respect to the fixed point in the CM frame, the displacement of m2 turns out to be x=kcos(ωt+π) which is indeed an SHM .

Is my understanding correct ?

Jahnavi said:
Is the fixed point in the frame necessarily the point of equilibrium for the SHM in that frame ?

In this problem , for m2 , is the fixed point a distance ##\frac{m_1L_0}{m_1+m_2}## from the CM (origin) ?

Similarly , for m1 , is the fixed point a distance ##\frac{m_2L_0}{m_1+m_2}## from the CM (origin) ?

Jahnavi said:
##x_2 = v_0t + \dfrac{m_1}{m_2}A(1-\cos{wt})##

So , in the CM frame the displacement of m2 from the fixed point is basically ##-cosωt## ?

##-cosωt = cos(ωt+π)##

With respect to the fixed point in the CM frame, the displacement of m2 turns out to be x=kcos(ωt+π) which is indeed an SHM .

Is my understanding correct ?
Yes to all the above.

Likes Jahnavi

Related to Understanding the Harmonic Motion of Two Masses Connected by a Spring

What is the concept of "Spring and two masses"?

The concept of "Spring and two masses" involves a mechanical system consisting of a spring and two masses that are connected to each other. The spring provides a restoring force that causes the masses to oscillate back and forth.

What is the equation used to describe the motion of "Spring and two masses"?

The equation used to describe the motion of "Spring and two masses" is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by the spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the masses from their equilibrium position.

How does the stiffness of the spring affect the motion of "Spring and two masses"?

The stiffness of the spring, also known as its spring constant, determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring. A higher spring constant results in a stiffer spring and therefore a higher frequency of oscillation for the masses.

What are the factors that can affect the period of oscillation in "Spring and two masses"?

The period of oscillation in "Spring and two masses" is affected by the mass of the masses, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillation. A heavier mass or a stiffer spring will result in a shorter period, while a larger amplitude will result in a longer period.

How does damping affect the motion of "Spring and two masses"?

Damping, which refers to the dissipation of energy in the system, can affect the motion of "Spring and two masses" by reducing the amplitude of the oscillation over time. This can be achieved through external factors such as friction or internal factors such as the material properties of the spring and masses.