Understanding the Generality of Logic Statements

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of compound statements using the symbols \leq and the rules for determining their truth values. It also touches on the idea of generality and how it applies to statements involving prime numbers.
annoymage

Homework Statement

sorry but I'm confused

is it okay if i say [tex]2 \leq 2[/tex] or [tex]1 \leq 2[/tex]

and this example

i know this is true

"if p is prime then p>1"

but is this true?

"if p is prime then p>-20"

its true right? because the generality doesn't change

Physics news on Phys.org

annoymage said:

Homework Statement

sorry but I'm confused

is it okay if i say [tex]2 \leq 2[/tex] or [tex]1 \leq 2[/tex]
Yes to both. For the first, [itex]2 \leq 2[/itex] means that either 1) 2 < 2 (false) OR 2) 2 = 2 (true). For a compound statement with OR, the whole statement is true if either or both of the parts are true.
annoymage said:
and this example

i know this is true

"if p is prime then p>1"

but is this true?

"if p is prime then p>-20"

its true right? because the generality doesn't change
Yes. Primes are considered to be positive integers that are greater than or equal to 2.

aahhh~, thanks for clearing my mind

Related to Understanding the Generality of Logic Statements

What is "Logic coursework question"?

"Logic coursework question" refers to a specific type of assignment or project that involves the use of logical reasoning and critical thinking skills. It typically involves analyzing and evaluating arguments, identifying fallacies, and constructing valid and sound arguments.

Why is it important to study logic?

Studying logic is important because it helps individuals develop critical thinking skills that are necessary for making informed decisions, formulating sound arguments, and solving complex problems. It also helps individuals identify and avoid fallacies in reasoning, which can improve the overall quality of their thinking and communication.

What are some common topics covered in logic coursework?

Some common topics covered in logic coursework include deductive and inductive reasoning, propositional and predicate logic, formal and informal fallacies, truth tables, and logical proofs. Depending on the level of the course, it may also cover more advanced topics such as modal logic and set theory.

What are some strategies for approaching logic coursework questions?

Some strategies for approaching logic coursework questions include carefully reading and understanding the question, identifying the type of reasoning involved, breaking down the argument into smaller parts, and using diagrams and visual aids to represent the information. It is also important to practice regularly and seek help from the instructor or classmates if needed.

How can I improve my performance on logic coursework?

To improve your performance on logic coursework, it is important to practice regularly, familiarize yourself with the different types of logical reasoning, and seek feedback from your instructor. You can also try to apply logical reasoning skills in everyday situations and engage in discussions and debates with others to strengthen your critical thinking abilities.