Understanding the Equation for Velocity Field in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the problem is much bigger than the student knows how to solve. The student asks if they can find the velocity field in terms of the current function, and is told that they need to use the equation above. They try to solve it, but get an incorrect answer because the derivatives are all zero because the function doesn't depend on theta. They are then given an alternate solution that uses the function phi instead of theta.
Remixex

Homework Statement

$$\bar{v}=\nabla \times \psi \hat{k}$$
The problem is much bigger, i know how a rotor or curl is calculated in cylindrical coordinates, but I'm just asking to see what would be the "determinant" rule for this specific curl.

Homework Equations

$$\psi$$ is in cylindrical coordinates (r,theta,z) and depends only on r and z, not theta meaning $$\psi(r,z)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm asked to write the velocity field in therms of the current function psi, and i know i have to do it with said equation above, i believe the determinant rule used (given this is a demonstration and i already know the answer) was
(i tried doing a matrix and i couldn't, but the bottom line of the determinant looks like it was 0 & psi & 0, so the result should yield) $$\bar{v}=(\frac{-1}{r} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z}, 0, \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial r})$$

Physics news on Phys.org
I think i solved it by myself, but if this is wrong I'd like some inputs.
All the theta derivatives are zero because psi doesn't depend on theta (1)
The middle therm is zero because the flux is axisymmetric, therefore the derivatives on each side are the same, cancelling each other (2)

Did you mean ##\nabla \times (\psi \hat\theta)## instead of ##\nabla \times (\psi \hat k)##?

You can tell your answer isn't dimensionally correct. If ##r## and ##z## have units of length, the derivative should only only introduce one power of length in the denominator. Your result has two.

I'm answering this absolutely late but i solved this doubt the next day asking my tutor
The equation, even though given as an "absolute" in the textbook (it implies it can be used everywhere) it depends on the flux, it is
$$\bar{v}=\nabla \times \phi(*)$$ where the asterisk (*) is the coordinate the current function does not posses, in this case phi is a function of r and z, therefore the asterisk must be a theta.
In any case i find much more comfortable using
$$\bar{v}=\nabla \phi \times (*)$$
I believe it's a similar equation, with another syntax, that relates velocity field with current function
Thanks for your answer anyways
PS=I'm struggling a lot in this fluid mechanics c(o)urse

Related to Understanding the Equation for Velocity Field in Cylindrical Coordinates

1. What does each variable in the equation represent?

Each variable in an equation represents a specific quantity or value. The variables can be numbers, letters, or symbols that stand for unknown values. For example, in the equation y = mx + b, y represents the output or dependent variable, x represents the input or independent variable, m represents the slope or rate of change, and b represents the y-intercept.

2. How do I know which operation to use for solving the equation?

The operation used in an equation depends on the goal of the problem. Addition and subtraction are used to combine terms, multiplication and division are used to change the scale of the variables, and exponentiation is used to show repeated multiplication. The order of operations (PEMDAS) can also be used as a guide to determine which operations to perform first.

3. What is the purpose of solving an equation?

The purpose of solving an equation is to find the value(s) of the variable(s) that make the equation true. This can help us understand the relationship between different quantities and make predictions or solve real-world problems. It is also useful in simplifying complex expressions and in finding solutions to equations in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

4. How do I check if my solution to an equation is correct?

To check if a solution to an equation is correct, you can substitute the value(s) of the variable(s) into the equation and see if both sides are equal. If they are equal, then the solution is correct. This method is called verifying the solution. You can also graph the equation and see if the coordinates of the solution point lie on the line or curve represented by the equation.

5. Can I solve an equation without knowing the values of all the variables?

It is possible to solve an equation without knowing the values of all the variables. This is called solving for a specific variable. You can isolate the variable you want to solve for by performing the inverse operation of the other terms in the equation. This can also involve using algebraic properties and simplifying the equation. However, in some cases, the equation may not have a single solution but a range of possible solutions depending on the values of the other variables.