Understanding the Energy Distribution of Expanding Water Ripples

In summary, a boat is 200 m away from a paddle wheel that creates waves with a period of 1.8 s and an amplitude of 3 cm. If the wave velocity is 1.5 m/s, the wavelength is 2.7 m. The displacement of the water can be described by the equation D = 0.03sin(2.32x-3.48t). If the boat is moved 60 m closer to the paddle wheel, the amplitude of the wave will be 0 and the water will be flat at that point. The intensity of the
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

A boat is on a quiet lake 200 m from a paddle wheel that creates waves which pass the boat every 1.8 s with an amplitude of 3 cm.

A) If the wave velocity for water waves is 1.5 m/s, what is the wavelength?
B) Write an equation for the displacement of the water as a function of position and time
C)What is the amplitude of the wave if the boat is moved 60 m closer to the paddle wheel?

Homework Equations

v = lambda/T
D = Asin(kx - wt)
k = 2pi/lambda
v = w/k

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I don't think this question is worded very clearly but I am assuming they mean that the period is 1.8 s
if that is true then v= lambda/T so lambda = Tv = 1.8s * 1.5 m/s = 2.7 m

B) D = Asin(kx-wt)
k = 2pi/lambda = 2pi/2.7 = 2.32
v = w/k so w = vk = 1.5 * 2.32 = 3.48
a is given as .03 m
so D = .03sin(2.32x-3.48t)

C) the wave is going 1.5 m/s so it goes 60 m in 60/1.5 = 40 s
D = .03sin(2.32*60 - 3.48 * 40) = .03sin(0) = 0
the water is flat at that point

I am not confident at all that I did this right. please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the main reasons I am not confident is that my solution didnt use the info that the paddle wheel is 200 m away. I can't figure out where that would fit in though

toothpaste666 said:
One of the main reasons I am not confident is that my solution didnt use the info that the paddle wheel is 200 m away. I can't figure out where that would fit in though
You're right, the question is not terribly clear, but I think you are supposed to consider the paddle wheel as a point source, like dropping a stone in a lake. As the ripples spread out, what happens to the amplitude?
Note that this will affect your answer to B.

it lowers? my first thought is to add a damping term to the equation for the wave.
Ae^(-yt) sin(kx-wt)
where y = b/2m
but i don't have any info on the damping constant b or the mass so i don't think this is the right solution.
is there another way to describe damping for a wave?

toothpaste666 said:
it lowers? my first thought is to add a damping term to the equation for the wave.
Ae^(-yt) sin(kx-wt)
where y = b/2m
but i don't have any info on the damping constant b or the mass so i don't think this is the right solution.
is there another way to describe damping for a wave?
It isn't a matter of damping (which would be non-conservation of work) so much as thinning out. If you stand twice as far from a sound source, what does it do to the intensity? Why is the relationship of that form? What does that imply for how the intensity of a surface wave attenuates?

doesnt it decrease logarithmically?

toothpaste666 said:
doesnt it decrease logarithmically?
I wouldn't think so. Not negative-exponentially either. Can you answer my question about sound intensity?

well the reason i say that is because the formula i learned for sound intensity is
intensity (dB) = 10log(I/I0)

looking through my notes the only other formula i have for the intensity of a wave is
I = 2pi^2 d v f^2 A^2
where d is the density, v is the velocity, f is the frequency and A is the amplitude.

if neither of those fit the situation I would say the intensity of the wave would decrease the farther you get

toothpaste666 said:
intensity (dB) = 10log(I/I0)
That's just a definition of decibels. It's to do with the way humans perceive sound, not how sound actually behaves.
toothpaste666 said:
I would say the intensity of the wave would decrease the farther you get
Sure, but we need to get to the algebraic relationship.
Think about this... a stone is dropped in a lake. It creates a ripple that starts off at a small radius and spreads out (ignore the fact that there will be multiple ripples). The energy only declines gradually, so pretend it's constant. The energy is related to the height of the ripple (we need to think how, exactly). As the ripple expands, that energy is spread over a longer distance.

E is proportional to the amplitude right? E = 1/2kA^2

toothpaste666 said:
E is proportional to the amplitude right? E = 1/2kA^2
Ok, so what about how the energy per unit length of perimeter will change?

the perimeter being the 200 m?

toothpaste666 said:
the perimeter being the 200 m?
No. What shape does a spreading ripple make? What is meant by a perimeter?

the perimeter is the outside length of an object. I believe the shape of the ripple would be sinusoidal

toothpaste666 said:
I believe the shape of the ripple would be sinusoidal
I meant, when looking from above. In that context, what do I mean by perimeter? How will the energy per unit length of perimeter change as the ripple expands (assuming total energy is constant)?

1. What causes water waves to form when paddling?

Water waves are formed when the paddle wheel pushes against the water and creates a disturbance. This disturbance causes the water particles to move in a circular motion, resulting in the formation of waves.

2. How do water waves from a paddle wheel travel?

Water waves from a paddle wheel travel in a circular motion, with the highest point of the wave being directly above the disturbance created by the paddle. As the waves travel, the particles of water move up and down in a circular motion, but the wave itself moves forward.

3. Can the speed of the paddle wheel affect the size of the water waves?

Yes, the speed of the paddle wheel can affect the size of the water waves. The faster the paddle wheel rotates, the larger the disturbance it creates and the bigger the waves will be. Conversely, a slower rotating paddle wheel will create smaller waves.

4. How do water waves from a paddle wheel interact with each other?

When water waves from a paddle wheel meet, they can either cancel each other out or combine to form a larger wave. This interaction depends on the relative amplitudes and phases of the waves. If two waves have the same amplitude and are in phase, they will combine to form a larger wave. If they are out of phase, they can cancel each other out.

5. Do water waves from a paddle wheel have a specific wavelength?

The wavelength of water waves from a paddle wheel depends on the speed of the paddle wheel and the depth of the water. In shallow water, the wavelength is shorter, while in deeper water the wavelength is longer. However, the wavelength can also be affected by other factors such as wind and obstacles in the water.