Sound (harmonic) waves questions

In summary: It appears to be a rarefaction (less than one atmosphere pressure) at that particular time and place.
wislagrew
Hello,
I have two question regrading sound waves.
The first one:
The pressure P(x;t) at a point x at time t in a medium through which a harmonic wave is
travelling can be described by:
P(x,t) = Asin(wt -kx)
If the equation describes a pressure wave traveling in air, with amplitude 2 Pa and frequency 100 Hz,
find the instantaneous pressure at a distance 10 cm from the source at time 5s.
My solution(am I doing right?):
w=2pi*f
w=2pi*100Hz = 200pi rad/sec;

k=2pi/λ; v=f*λ; λ=343m/s /100 Hz = 3.43m and k=2pi/3.43 =1.83 rad/m;

Finally I have this:
P(x=0.1 ,t=5) = 2sin(200pi*5 -1.18*0.1) = -0.34.

The second question is here
ORWfejn.png

Hope you can help me to figure out the solutions.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
wislagrew said:
The first one:
The pressure P(x;t) at a point x at time t in a medium through which a harmonic wave is
travelling can be described by:
P(x,t) = Asin(wt -kx)
If the equation describes a pressure wave traveling in air, with amplitude 2 Pa and frequency 100 Hz,
find the instantaneous pressure at a distance 10 cm from the source at time 5s.
My solution(am I doing right?):
w=2pi*f
w=2pi*100Hz = 200pi rad/sec;

k=2pi/λ; v=f*λ; λ=343m/s /100 Hz = 3.43m and k=2pi/3.43 =1.83 rad/m;
I can see how you approached this, but the assumption of v = 343 m/sec seems unreasonable in light of knowing nothing more than it is sound in "a medium". I think the best you can do is state " I can't see how this can be solved without knowing v or λ so to allow computations I am going to imagine the medium is air at 25C " or something like that.

For your second problem, you'll need to use trig identities, cos (A) + cos (B)

Thanks for you reply,
In the end of question's paper it says 343m/sec, so I decided to use it. I'm just confused with the negative result.

A sinusoid "with amplitude of 2 Pa" is a convention or standard expression implying pressure varies cyclically from 2 Pa below ambient (rarefaction) to 2 Pa above ambient (compression). If it were intended to be otherwise, the question would be worded to make that clear.

So the negative result translates into;
Atmospheric(Pa) + (-0.34 Pa) = Absolute (Pa) ?

mic* said:
So the negative result translates into;
Atmospheric(Pa) + (-0.34 Pa) = Absolute (Pa) ?
I assume that's how it is. There is an incremental change in pressure given by that sinusoid.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of mechanical wave that is created by the vibration of particles in a medium, such as air. These vibrations cause changes in air pressure, which our ears perceive as sound.

2. How do sound waves travel?

Sound waves travel by compressing and expanding the particles in the medium they are traveling through. This creates a series of compressions and rarefactions that move through the medium, carrying the sound energy with them.

3. What is the difference between a harmonic and non-harmonic sound wave?

A harmonic sound wave is a type of sound wave in which the frequency of the wave is a multiple of the fundamental frequency. This results in a wave with a regular, repeating pattern. Non-harmonic sound waves, on the other hand, have frequencies that are not multiples of the fundamental frequency and therefore have a more irregular pattern.

4. How are sound waves measured?

Sound waves are measured in terms of their frequency, which is the number of complete cycles the wave makes in one second, and their amplitude, which is the strength or intensity of the wave. These measurements are typically made using a unit called hertz (Hz) for frequency and decibels (dB) for amplitude.

5. What is the relationship between sound waves and pitch?

The pitch of a sound is determined by the frequency of the sound wave. Higher frequency sound waves have a higher pitch, while lower frequency sound waves have a lower pitch. This is why instruments and voices that produce higher frequency sound waves are perceived as having a higher pitch than those that produce lower frequency sound waves.