Understanding the Differences between Integrating and Taking the Square Root

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 1
In summary, the expressions $$\int \sqrt{f(x)}dx$$ and $$\sqrt{\int f(x)dx}$$ are not equivalent. This can be seen by comparing them to sums and using the property that $$\sqrt{\sum_1^n a_i}\neq\sum_1^n\sqrt{a_i}$$ most of the time. This also explains why $$\sqrt{(C\int\sqrt{(a+b)}dx)^2}$$ is not the same as $$\sqrt{C^2\int(a+b)dx}$$.
iScience
$$\int \sqrt{f(x)}dx$$ is NOT the same as..

$$\sqrt{\int f(x)dx}$$ right?

i did an example problem and they turned out not to be equivalent but i just wanted to make certain.

if they actually aren't equivalent.. why aren't they?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, better example:

$$\sqrt{(C\int\sqrt{(a+b)}dx)^2}$$

this is not the same as..

$$\sqrt{C^2\int(a+b)dx}$$

is it?

(C= constant, a= variable, b=constant (not that it really matters..))

Last edited:
iScience said:
$$\int \sqrt{f(x)}dx$$ is NOT the same as..

$$\sqrt{\int f(x)dx}$$ right?

i did an example problem and they turned out not to be equivalent but i just wanted to make certain.

if they actually aren't equivalent.. why aren't they?

Try ##f(x)=x^2## and you'll see for yourself why they are not the same.

Remember that the definite integral is a kind of sum (technically a limit of sums), and so one way to understand why things may or may not work with the integral is to compare it to a sum.

In this case, if you remember that ##\sqrt{a+b}\neq\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}## most of the time, and in general ##\sqrt{\sum_1^n a_i}\neq\sum_1^n\sqrt{a_i}##, it's not too hard to see why, most of the time, ##\sqrt{\int_a^bf(x)\ dx}\neq\int_a^b\sqrt{f(x)}\ dx##.

gopher_p said:
Remember that the definite integral is a kind of sum (technically a limit of sums), and so one way to understand why things may or may not work with the integral is to compare it to a sum.

In this case, if you remember that ##\sqrt{a+b}\neq\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}## most of the time, and in general ##\sqrt{\sum_1^n a_i}\neq\sum_1^n\sqrt{a_i}##, it's not too hard to see why, most of the time, ##\sqrt{\int_a^bf(x)\ dx}\neq\int_a^b\sqrt{f(x)}\ dx##.

Thanks this was helpful! :)

Related to Understanding the Differences between Integrating and Taking the Square Root

1. What is Quick calc 1 question?

Quick calc 1 question is a term used to describe a type of mathematical problem that can be solved using basic calculation methods. It typically involves simple operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I solve a Quick calc 1 question?

To solve a Quick calc 1 question, you can follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) and use basic calculation methods. Start by simplifying any parentheses, then solve any exponents, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right. Remember to pay attention to any given operations in the question.

3. Can you give an example of a Quick calc 1 question?

Sure, an example of a Quick calc 1 question would be: "What is the result of 7 + 3 x 2?" To solve this, you would first solve 3 x 2 = 6, and then add 7 + 6 = 13.

4. Are there any tips for solving Quick calc 1 questions quickly?

Yes, one tip is to practice mental math and memorize common calculations such as multiplication tables and addition/subtraction facts. This can help you solve Quick calc 1 questions more efficiently. Also, make sure to read the question carefully and identify the correct order of operations to follow.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Quick calc 1 questions?

The best way to improve your skills in solving Quick calc 1 questions is to practice regularly. You can find many practice problems online or in math textbooks. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial in improving your skills and understanding of basic calculation methods.