Understanding the Confusion Between Fat Tuesday and Super Tuesday

• Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
In summary: Grandma Witkowski's paczki recipe is a classic that is loved by many. She explained that the doughnuts are made with milk, butter, sugar, and salt, and that they need to be warm before adding the eggs and yeast. The recipe also calls for two packages of dry yeast, which is mixed with one teaspoon of sugar. The rum is added to make the paczki rise and be extra flaky.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
I was talking with a Russian acquaintance yesterday and she said that her friend called her up on Sunday and asked her if it was Super Tuesday. I can only imagine the subsequent conversation:

Tatya: No, you stupid girl. It is Sunday. How can it be Super Tuesday?
Nadya: But everything today is super this, super that.
Tatya: It is Superbowl Sunday...
Nadya: What is Superbowl Sunday?
Tatya: It is ball game.
Nadya: So when is Super Tuesday?
Tatya: Tuesday!
Nadya: But Tuesday is Fat Tuesday...
Tatya: Yes. It is both Fat and Super Tuesday.
Nadya: So it is Super Fat Tuesday?
Tatya: Nyet!
Nadya: So when is Fat Sunday?
Tatya: ......

Happy Holiday everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Happy Paczki Day!

Hmph! You stole my word! We came up with it being Super Fat Tuesday in my gifted class.

binzing said:
Hmph! You stole my word! We came up with it being Super Fat Tuesday in my gifted class.

Gifted class? That reminds me of when my aunt and uncle came to visit from Germany and refused to go into the Gift Shop.

"Why not", we asked. Of course we couldn't understand. Though mother understood and giggled.

Gift is "Poison" in the German language.

mfwinter.jpg

Frohliche Uber Dicke Dienstag!

Don't really get the picture...anyways, I'll rephrase and say "the class for exceptionally talented students" to really piss off the administration, which is waging war, trying to cut the "class for exceptionally talented students".

binzing said:
Don't really get the picture...anyways, I'll rephrase and say "the class for exceptionally talented students" to really piss off the administration, which is waging war, trying to cut the "class for exceptionally talented students".

Ditto. We are not on the same wavelength.

I want to know where to get some paczki. Boy those sound good right now.:-p

I have a Polish bakery that I get mine from. At 1,000 calories each, Fat Tuesday takes on a very realistic meaning.

hypatia said:
I have a Polish bakery that I get mine from. At 1,000 calories each, Fat Tuesday takes on a very realistic meaning.

Makes me think that OmCheeto is onto something calling it SUPER Fat Tuesday. :smile:

Moonbear said:
Makes me think that OmCheeto is onto something calling it SUPER Fat Tuesday. :smile:

I can't take all the credit. It was those two Russian girls that got me started.
Super Sunday, Super Tuesday, Super Size Me on Super Fat Tuesday on a dozen super paczki.

Ah ha! found a recipe:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080203/NEWS05/802030643/1007
(Grandma) Witkowski explained that her family moved to the United States from Poland in the late 1800s. She has been making the doughnut-like treats for decades and said the recipe is pretty simple:

Mix 3 cups of milk with a half a pound of butter, 3/4 cup of sugar and a teaspoon of salt. Let it sit until it is lukewarm. Add 12 egg yolks, a jigger of rum and 11 cups of flour. The recipe calls for two packages of dry yeast, mixed with one teaspoon of sugar. Dissolve in 1/4 cup of water.

hmmm... That recipe looks like the basis for everything my mother used to cook. Perhaps she was part Polish.

Last edited by a moderator:
The jigger of rum is always for the cook:approve:

Related to Understanding the Confusion Between Fat Tuesday and Super Tuesday

1. What is "Happy Super Fat Tuesday"?

"Happy Super Fat Tuesday" is a celebration that takes place on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of the Christian season of Lent. It is a day to indulge in rich and fatty foods before the fasting period of Lent begins.

2. When does "Happy Super Fat Tuesday" occur?

"Happy Super Fat Tuesday" falls on a different date each year, but it always takes place on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. It typically falls between early February and early March.

3. What is the history behind "Happy Super Fat Tuesday"?

The origins of "Happy Super Fat Tuesday" can be traced back to medieval Europe, where it was a way to use up all the rich and fatty foods before the fasting period of Lent. It was also known as Shrove Tuesday, which comes from the word "shrive" meaning to confess one's sins and receive absolution.

4. How is "Happy Super Fat Tuesday" celebrated?

"Happy Super Fat Tuesday" is primarily celebrated in countries with strong Christian roots, such as the United States, Brazil, and Italy. It is often marked by parades, parties, and feasts with traditional foods such as pancakes and king cake. Some people also participate in the tradition of wearing masks and costumes, as seen in the famous Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans, Louisiana.

5. What is the significance of "Happy Super Fat Tuesday"?

"Happy Super Fat Tuesday" holds different meanings for different people. For some, it is a final day of indulgence before the fasting and abstinence of Lent. For others, it is a time to celebrate and let loose before the solemnity of the Lenten season. It also serves as a reminder of the balance between feasting and fasting in life.