Understanding the cdf of a Sum of Independent Random Variables

In summary, the conversation is about finding the cumulative distribution function (cdf) of the sum of independent random variables, where one is a geometric random variable and the other is an exponential random variable. The individual parts of the question involve concepts such as independence, probability distributions, and the cdf. The person is having trouble understanding how to use the given information to find the cdf.
suuperhiroo
I am have trouble with a question, and how exactly each given part of this question relates to getting the answer.

1. The problemb]

Assume that N,X1, X2...are independent.

Let P(N = k) = qk-1p , k[tex]\geq1[/tex], p+q = 1
and let X1,X2,X3,...be iid with a common pdf

f(x) = { [tex]\lambda[/tex]e-[tex]\lambda[/tex]x, x[tex]\geq0[/tex]

{ 0, x[tex]\leq0[/tex]

*e is raised to the power of 'negative lambda times x'

What theories and concepts should i be familiar with to answer this question? I have studied the chapters up to the ones dealing with Random Variables, as well as Continuous Random variables, yet this question is still not within my reach of solving, or even understanding for that matter. How do i use the given information to create a cdf?

Physics news on Phys.org
what's the question ?

looks like the first one is a geometric r.v. (discrete) and the second one is an exponential r.v. (continuous).

im sorry. I didnt put the question.

I am asked to : Find the the cdf of X1+ X2...XN

Related to Understanding the cdf of a Sum of Independent Random Variables

What is mathematical statistics?

Mathematical statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of data. It involves using mathematical models and techniques to draw conclusions about real-world phenomena.

What are some common statistical methods used in mathematical statistics?

Some common statistical methods used in mathematical statistics include descriptive statistics, probability theory, hypothesis testing, regression analysis, and sampling techniques. These methods help researchers to make sense of data and draw valid conclusions.

How is mathematical statistics different from other branches of statistics?

Mathematical statistics focuses on the development and application of mathematical models and techniques to analyze and interpret data. It is more theoretical and abstract compared to other branches of statistics, which tend to have a more practical and applied approach.

Why is mathematical statistics important?

Mathematical statistics is important because it allows researchers to make evidence-based decisions and draw meaningful conclusions from data. It also helps to identify patterns and trends in data, make predictions, and test hypotheses, which are crucial in many fields such as science, economics, and social sciences.

What skills are needed for mathematical statistics?

Some skills that are needed for mathematical statistics include a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, knowledge of statistical methods and software, and the ability to interpret and communicate data effectively. It also requires attention to detail and an understanding of the underlying assumptions and limitations of statistical models.